You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Fogra 47 uncoated ICC Profile suitable for IngramSpark print

Hey guys, IngramSpark has a 240% TAC ink limit and the only ICC profile(other than newsprint profile) I found is http://www.color.org/registry/Uncoated_Fogra47L_VIGC_260.xalter

And I do a color proof test in InDesign and it has a tiny blueish white on the paper(the left one on the attached picture). For me this is close to how a paper should look in real life.

however, InDesign set the default is US Web Coated (SWOP) V2 and most people let this be their default too I guess, I try to do color proof of it and the paper is so much more yellowish like a cream paper(right one on the attached picture), if this is the color I should get, then the Fogra47 is not for me?

i emailed to IngramSpark and they not willing to recommend me a profile but they do mentioned for portrait book which is my case is uncoated, for landscape book is slight sheen on paper which should mean coated.

10017215-1ABE-4F8B-A44A-9AE6D4B7724D.png

what exactly is the question or problem?

you should use the color profile that matches the printing process. contact your printer not the people who make standardized profiles. default color spaces in program settings are completely irrelevant.  

edit: ok i get it now. if the printing press wont tell you what profile to use, look for another printer. if they dont have a color management workflow they simply refuse to take any responsibility for quality.

• Staff

Hi @Johnny Chin.

The PDF creation guide from IngramSpark does not specify a ICC profile to use and I recommend contacting them directly to see if they will support this profile, also please be aware that we use the 2003 versions of PDF/X1a and X3 and in the IngramSpark file creation guide that I have attached they only support 2001 & 2002 versions of these formats so it will worth contacting them to see if they can also accept the newer standards for these PDF formats.

file-creation-guide.pdf

On 11/20/2019 at 4:54 PM, leechi said:

what exactly is the question or problem?

you should use the color profile that matches the printing process. contact your printer not the people who make standardized profiles. default color spaces in program settings are completely irrelevant.  

edit: ok i get it now. if the printing press wont tell you what profile to use, look for another printer. if they dont have a color management workflow they simply refuse to take any responsibility for quality.

On 11/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, DWright said:

Hi @Johnny Chin.

The PDF creation guide from IngramSpark does not specify a ICC profile to use and I recommend contacting them directly to see if they will support this profile, also please be aware that we use the 2003 versions of PDF/X1a and X3 and in the IngramSpark file creation guide that I have attached they only support 2001 & 2002 versions of these formats so it will worth contacting them to see if they can also accept the newer standards for these PDF formats.

file-creation-guide.pdf

Yes they don’t provide a profile, one question, does the profile is depend on the printer only or the paper as well? Like if it’s the same printer but different paper(different gsm and coated/uncoated) will need different profile as well?

Becuase I plan to use Fogra47L for the interior(uncoated 70lb 104gsm paper) and Fogra39L for the  laminates Coated cover(I think I will pic matte and not glossy, not sure if this will need a different profile too but I guess don’t need)

i just need that profile to convert my sRGB contents to CMYK pdf during the export. They say don’t embed the profile too so I guess if my profile different to their is still too(of course better if they can provide one)

i do know Blurb use their printer and Blurb has a custom profile based on GRACoL2009, but that profile is around 300% TAC ink limit, plus I read an article from PrintNinja day that’s its idea to have TAC around 150-250% so they artwork won’t be too dark due to too many ink, so I guess  I won’t use that profile. Although the paper simulation from the profile I can see it’s more white and not cream like the defaults US WEB Coated SWOP V2, and the Fogra39L(it’s an Coated profile with 260% TAC) is almost same as the Blurb simulated paper and Fogra47L(its a uncoated profile with 260% TAC) is just slight washed out due to the uncoated paper property 

On 11/22/2019 at 10:45 AM, Johnny Chin said:

one question, does the profile is depend on the printer only or the paper as well?

both.

coated = paper with plastic shiny shiny
uncoated = no plastic no shiny shiny

again, if they want 240% and have no further specification and they cant even be bothered to write a costum .icc profile and send it to you, you shouldnt bother having any business with them.

4 hours ago, leechi said:

both.

coated = paper with plastic shiny shiny
uncoated = no plastic no shiny shiny

again, if they want 240% and have no further specification and they cant even be bothered to write a costum .icc profile and send it to you, you shouldnt bother having any business with them.

I not sure how they can surive until now, their email support is like a robot, no care and emotion