You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Solved] Gradient - use color picker tool

Solved. See Walts reply and my reply to his for even more. :)

Pulling this out of the slow death in the archives - into the light.

I am madly missing a colour picker functionality like described by @chris.bannudirectly from the gradient editor. It is essential when you draw (recreate the image with vectors) on top of photos and need to add gradient points with exact colours from the image just below. Why is it not possible? :(

All workarounds slows the work flow down to a crawl.

It would be great if when using gradient colors, we could use the COLOR PICKER tool. For example, I have an object that has a gradient color. When I click on one of the handlers, to change one of the colors, if I use the color picker tool, the shape loses its gradient color and turns into the color chosen by the color picker, regardless of the fact that I first clicked on one of the gradient handlers. It would be great if when clicking on a gradient handler, and afterwards selecting the color picker tool and selecting a color, only the color of the gradient linked to the handler I clicked on, will be changed.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

9 hours ago, Jowday said:

All workarounds slows the work flow down to a crawl.

Which ones have you tried?

For me, this one is reasonably efficient:

1. Click with the gradient tool to add a node.
  2. Drag the eyedropper in the Color studio panel to pick a color.
  3. Click in the color well next to that eyedropper to assign the color.

Reversing steps 1 and 2 might be helpful in some cases. And for the scenario you mentioned, dragging the color panel out of the studio to make it free floating, and positioning near the area of the photo you're working on, would probably help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Which ones have you tried?

For me, this one is reasonably efficient:

1. Click with the gradient tool to add a node.
  2. Drag the eyedropper in the Color studio panel to pick a color.
  3. Click in the color well next to that eyedropper to assign the color.

Reversing steps 1 and 2 might be helpful in some cases. And for the scenario you mentioned, dragging the color panel out of the studio to make it free floating, and positioning near the area of the photo you're working on, would probably help.

THANK YOU, Walt. That was not an intuitive little icon - no hint, no tooltip, no status bar hint that this is how you use it. I did click it and didn't see any effect. I see the help does explain it, so I could have helped myself, but hey it's so easy to place hints in the user interface. RTFM is so last century. :)

A shame because it really does the job. Thank you so much for guidance, @walt.farrell :-)

And hey - then the functionality is right there in the gradient editor from the toolbar:

image.png.0ffdf598f886017ad01fff40ab2bcafa.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

You're welcome, @Jowday.

And thanks for pointing out that other eyedropper. I'm not sure why I didn't suggest using that one. I may not have noticed it :)

However, I am having a harder time using that one than the one in the Color panel. I may need to play with it further.

I have been successful using the one associated with the rectangular color well, though:
image.png.e04156ec23c2439b4dda8f85e8a2ba21.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

46 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

However, I am having a harder time using that one than the one in the Color panel. I may need to play with it further.

I have been successful using the one associated with the rectangular color well, though:
image.png.e04156ec23c2439b4dda8f85e8a2ba21.png

Well, @walt.farrell No wonder, I think there is a bug in it. It applies the picked color to a wrong gradient node (a different node than the currently selected node) after a few picks. I will report it tomorrow.

I think it happens after you used it on the start or end node. Not sure. A shame.

Weird stuff happens during the second pick.

14 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Weird stuff happens during the second pick.

It happened during the first pick, for me, using the eyedropper you showed. It has worked properly for me using the one in the Color panel, or in the flyout from the rectangular well that I showed.

-- Walt
PC: