Fotonity

Flood Tool how to change the default value. Or black adj layer.

Hey guys, first post here. New to Affinity Photo and love it so far.

I need some help with the flood tool. I don't think I will ever use it at 20% but it always revert to that value from one document to the next. Is there a way to set it to 100% as default?

I saw a post dated from a year ago saying sticky values were in the works for tools. Any progress on that front?

Or maybe some of you would know how to fully turn to black an adjustement layer in a quicker way? I like to paint from the layer the local adjustements that I need and would appreciate either the flood tool to always be 100% or to be able to create an adjustement layer that is black by default, which would be even faster.

Any idea?

Hi Fotonity and Welcome to the Forums,

14 hours ago, Fotonity said:

I need some help with the flood tool. I don't think I will ever use it at 20% but it always revert to that value from one document to the next. Is there a way to set it to 100% as default?

I'm not aware of a method to set this to 100 by default.

maybe some of you would know how to fully turn to black an adjustement layer in a quicker way

You could use the Fill Tool, just add your adjustment layer and with this Layer selected, make sure Black is set as the Fill Colour and the select the Fill Tool and just click on the image in the workplace.  This will then fill just the Adjustment layer with black and allow you to brush in the Adjustment where you want :) 

Or maybe some of you would know how to fully turn to black an adjustement layer in a quicker way?

Have you tried this?

1. Select the adjustment layer
  2. From the Layer menu, select "Invert" or use the keyboard shortcut for that
  3. Paint on the adjustment layer with a white or grey brush to reveal the adjustment wherever you want.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

15 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi Fotonity and Welcome to the Forums,

I'm not aware of a method to set this to 100 by default.

You could use the Fill Tool, just add your adjustment layer and with this Layer selected, make sure Black is set as the Fill Colour and the select the Fill Tool and just click on the image in the workplace.  This will then fill just the Adjustment layer with black and allow you to brush in the Adjustment where you want :) 

Is it the Fill Tool from the Gradient tool? If yes, the problem is the same, the defaults values are not appropriate and the values I set are forgotten every time I select the tool.

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

Have you tried this?

1. Select the adjustment layer
  2. From the Layer menu, select "Invert" or use the keyboard shortcut for that
  3. Paint on the adjustment layer with a white or grey brush to reveal the adjustment wherever you want.

That is perfect! Ctrl-I set the layer to black instantly. Thank you so much for the tip!