You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Baseline Grids – Should they have distinguishing names?

There are two types of baseline grids:
a) the document level baseline grid;
b) text frame level baseline grids.

When the user selects to “Use Baseline Grid” via the Baseline Grid Manager, that baseline grid is for the whole document but it can be overridden if the user decides to add a Baseline Grid via the “Use Baseline Grid” option in the Text Frame Panel.

At the moment they are both called “Baseline Grid”. Would it be better if the document level baseline grid was called the Document Baseline Grid and the text frame baseline grid called the Local Baseline Grid (or Frame Baseline Grid)? That might help the user distinguish between the two.  It would also make explaining them a bit easier.

It’s not a big thing but I thought I’d ask the question.

• 1 month later...

As far as I understand it, the option "Use Baseline Grid" in the text frame panel does not create a different type of baseline grid. Rather, it lets you decide if the current document base line grid is applied to that specific text frame or not. Makes sense?

Never mind

You can give a text frame a different baseline grid to the baseline grid normally used by the document.
See attached image for an example where the document BG (in cyan) is 14pt and the frame BG (in orange) on the right is 23pt.
The “Use Baseline Grid” option in the Text Frame Panel tells the frame, if that option is checked, to use a different BG to the document BG.
The “Ignore Baseline Grid” option in the Text Frame Panel tells the text frame, if that option is checked, to ignore both (or just the document BG if the frame doesn’t have its own BG).
This is part of where the confusion can come in, which is why I was asking if they should be renamed to make it clearer:
* “Use Baseline Grid” in the Text Frame Panel would become “Use Local Baseline Grid”;
* “Ignore Baseline Grid” in the Text Frame Panel would become “Ignore All Baseline Grids”;
* “Use Baseline Grid” in the Baseline Grid Manager would become “Use Document Baseline Grid”;
* “Show Baseline Grid” in the Baseline Grid Manager would become “Show All Baseline Grids”;
* “Align to Baseline Grid” in the Paragraph Panel and Text Style Panel and dialogs would stay as it is (difficult to think of a better wording).

Annotation 2019-12-22 122318.png

For whatever it probably isn't worth, I agree that this functionality could be presented more clearly in the UI.

I think it could be done more simply, however: the "Use Baseline Grid" option in the Baseline Grid Manager could simply be renamed to "Override Baseline Grid", for example...