You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document baseline grid interferes with vertical alignment in a text frame

Joachim_L

Stumbling (again? Topic sounds so familiar to me, but again means not fixed in the meantime) upon this while opening an IDML with a footer meant to be vertically centered in a text frame and the text was not vertically centered. Text Frame Baseline Alignment was off, Paragraph Baseline Alignment was off. But the Baseline Grid was used in the Baseline Grid Manager.

I am wondering what the functions calculate to produce the result shown in the attached image. The image shows that text is not aligned to the grid and it is not vertically centered.

baseline.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Not a bug? Strange order of "priorities". So let's recall the use of the Baseline Grid in APu.

1. Paragraph Panel: Checkbox Align to Baseline Grid

2. Text Frame Panel: Checkbox Use Baseline Grid

3. Text Frame Panel: Checkbox Ignore Baseline Grid

4. Baseline Grid Manager: Checkbox Use Baseline Grid

So what would be the best practice to avoid text aligning to the baseline (when its needed)? Having checkboxes unchecked on 1. and 2. and checked on 3.? Or only sufficient on 3.?

Honestly / frankly, this is ... hmmm ... irritating. Or better overcomplicated. Also StuartRC recently reported this behaviour in the Beta Forum. So I am not the only one being irritated. When we do not want the paragraph / text to align to the baseline it does not matter to uncheck in the Paragraph Panel? When we do not want the paragraph / text to align to the baseline it does not matter to uncheck in the Text Frame Panel? We must use Ignore Baseline? Really? From my point of view a paragraph formatting should override the setting in the Baseline Grid Manager.

Just my 2ct.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi Joachim_L,
I'm sorry, i was wrong. There is indeed an issue here. The text should be behaving as if Use Baseline Grid (Document setting) was disabled or Ignore Baseline Grid enabled in the Text Frame panel, since Align to Baseline Grid is disabled for this paragraph. I don't know what is effecting the current text positioning in this text frame. I'm passing this to Dave for comments and will get back to you. Thanks for keeping at it.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Centre alignment out of position if baseline grid enabled) of the program in the latest customer beta. Some elements of this report remain outstanding (Tables should be able to ignore baseline grids). If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon