Sign in to follow this  
davidbonnet

Affinity Photo: Effects (such as gaussian blur) on masks not applied

Hi,

In Affinity Photo for Mac (retail version), effects on masks don't seem to be applied, although the layers inspector says otherwise. For instance, when setting a gaussian blur effect on a mask, the mask's edges aren't blurry as expected (see attached screenshot).

Other effects also don't seem to work…

Hi,

My guess is that you are using the "Effects" panel on the right - those effects won't apply to masks - only normal layers..

However, you can either use the Filters menu at the top (destructive) or Live Filters (hourglass looking button on bottom of layers panel) (non-destructive) - these will both work on masks.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

On 7/11/2015 at 10:16 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

However, you can either use the Filters menu at the top (destructive) or Live Filters (hourglass looking button on bottom of layers panel) (non-destructive) - these will both work on masks.

Erm, just no. The Live Filter Gaussian Blur does not work here. When I select the mask layer and press the Hour Glass icon and select Gaussian Blur, an FX layer is created *on top* of the parent image layer, and when I offer this layer to the mask layer, the effect is simply not applied.

On 7/11/2015 at 10:16 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

My guess is that you are using the "Effects" panel on the right - those effects won't apply to masks - only normal layers..

Secondly, why on earth do effects from the Effects panel not work on masks? They *should* in my opinion (and I guess, I am not alone here), particularly color overlay as I already stated in a different thread here, because color overlay (please compare with how smart this is implemented in Photoshop!) would allow you to exactly see (as a testing tool so to say) where the underlying layer is showing through if using Blend If (the cog wheel icon in Affinity Photo).