You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Maximum amount of pictures to stack?

Hi, I want to create a Startrail with 300 pictures and was wondering if one could stack them and then change the blend mode in order to show the Startrail. I tried to load all the files into the stack and the pics are shown in the preview but for the life it, it does not create the actual stack. Each file is a 7mb jpg. I am using a new IPad Pro 12.9 inch. Are 300 photos too much?

• Staff

Hi Alewa,

Welcome to the forums :)

Although 300 images will certainly take a while to stack, it should be possible in the iOS version of Affinity Photo. We've recently tested around a 180 image stack and the process did take time, but the stack was created successfully. Could you please confirm for me, when creating the stack what happens? Does the app crash/close - or does the process seemingly never complete? If so - how long did you wait for the app to complete this?

The best way for us to test this is using a copy of the images you're trying to stack, I appreciate there is a great number of them but if you could please upload these to the following link that would be more than helpful - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/bUaDFMOitrlbYpvVrePY

In the meantime could you please confirm for me, what version of iOS are you running currently? And what version of Affinity Photo please?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks Dan! 
it ran during the night and the App closed in the morning. No crash but also no completion.

i am running the up to date IPadOS and Newest Affinity Happy to upload the files but it seems I can only do it file per file?....

Edited by Alewa
Added info

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, I'd like to check to see if a log was created for this.
Please open your iPads settings and navigate to Settings>Privacy>Analytics>Analytics data. Here you should see files titled 'Photo iPad [Date] .ips' Could you please copy and paste the text into your reply from the most recent log? (if available) Many thanks in advance!

I believe Dropboxs' file uploader will allow you to select multiple images, or upload an entire folder. Are you uploading from your iPad, or from a desktop please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 11/20/2019 at 3:55 AM, Alewa said:

Happy to upload the files but it seems I can only do it file per file?....

You could 'zip' them. Documents by Readdle (free) has a built in zip to compress files)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/