You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Should renaming a layer only be done via double-click?

Currently, single-clicking the name of a non-selected layer selects that layer, while single-clicking the name of a selected layer opens the ‘rename layer function’.
Are you saying that you would prefer to have to double-click no matter if the layer was selected or not selected? In other words, do you want the same functionality - with regards to the 'rename layer' functionality - for both selected and non-selected layers?

I think your suggestion might be a good one.
I often find myself renaming a layer when I don’t want to.
I don’t think it should be requested just because that’s how Photoshop does it, but I do think it should be requested as it might be useful.
Hopefully more people will see this and give their opinions.
There’s a chance that we could be the only people who have a problem with how it currently works.
People who rename their layers a lot may not want it to change but, in my experience, most layers don’t need to have any specific name.
Let’s see what other people think.

P.S. I would like to suggest that the title of the thread is changed to something like “Should renaming a layer only be done via double-click?”. That might help people know what it is about more easily.

I agree and have had the same problem.  Another issue is that if a layer is clicked to select, and then some time in the future a cmd + shift + return is pressed it will go into a name change, accepting the following keystrokes as a name.  But if the layer is selected from the drawing this doesn't work.  Not sure which condition is the bug.  But I have renamed many layers V, A and G by accident because I hit cmd + shift + return when I wanted to hit cmd + return.  Sometimes VVV before I notice where my keystrokes are actually going.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra