You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CTSR Lines: Vector brushes with simple repeating patterns

AnnieW

I was in need of lines with dots and triangles for a project. I started creating a few lines and then I encountered a whole bunch of problems with repeating patterns in the Texture Intensity Brushes in the Designer Persona. My triangles got squished, my squares became rectangles and I went into full pitbull mode and did not sleep until I understood what went wrong. These are my work arounds if you’re struggling with squished or otherwise deformed repeating patterns: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101575-textured-intensity-brushes-and-body-repeat/&tab=comments#comment-545105.

With the work arounds in mind I’ve created a set of brushes with repeating patterns that hardly show any deformation*. I was on a roll, so I created 114 in 9 families. I won’t use all, so feel free to use them. They're nice for stamps and borders and such. Enjoy!

*) When using these brushes on a tightly curving curve or a sharp corner they of course do deform. Experiment with the brush setting for Corners to find the best solution for your project.

stamp.png.970502cdaa980628a7bad250f8489c7c.png

The brushes all contain a centred line (in 3 widths, S, M and L) and repeating shapes and stripes above or above and below. The brushes with stuff above the line, but not under are therefore not vertically centred on the stroke. In the stripey families I added 3 lines with a different center point, those are marked with a suffix ‘mid’. They are symmetrical, the 'mid' version is vertically centred on the whole stroke.

When you import the brush files you’ll see that a few of the brushes in the round families have different heights from the other brushes. The sources of these brushes have a different width height ratio (see the post linked above for the reason why). I added them to the brush files with a height that by default fits to the brushes with the standard height of 80px.

901901195_examplessmall.thumb.png.07321332dbb28d09268a45e387df3448.png

Lines CTSR examples.pdf

lines CTSR - pointy L.afbrushes

lines CTSR - round L.afbrushes

lines CTSR - stripey L.afbrushes

lines CTSR - pointy M.afbrushes

lines CTSR - round M.afbrushes

lines CTSR - stripey M.afbrushes

lines CTSR - pointy S.afbrushes

lines CTSR - round S.afbrushes

lines CTSR - stripey S.afbrushes

16 hours ago, AnnieW said:

With the work arounds in mind I’ve created a set of brushes with repeating patterns that hardly show any deformation*. I was on a roll, so I created 114 in 9 families. I won’t use all, so feel free to use them. They're nice for stamps and borders and such. Enjoy!

*) When using these brushes on a tightly curving curve or a sharp corner they of course do deform. Experiment with the brush setting for Corners to find the best solution for your project.

Wow, that's a very impressive and useful collection. Thank you for generously sharing these!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...