You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF import fails

This is what happens:

1. When opening the PDF file in Publisher (not placing), it shows a PDF options dialog on import, where the (really small) page preview more or less exactly shows the correct page layout (see screenshot 1).
  2. But Publisher apparently wants to make texts editable and complains about missing fonts, which it either wants to replace or not. Whether or not I choose this option doesn't really matter, because both result in destroyed text and layout (see screenshot 2).
  3. It would be nice if a PDF page could just be opened/placed as a single entity (not necessarily editable) that looks more or less exactly like the original.

If this is what you mean with the words PDF pass through, then that seems to be it. PagePlus X9 (and not X8 as I claimed before) apparently does that as follows:

1. On PDF opening, I can either use the embedded fonts, or replace them by something else. Any of these creates an editable document, and the option with the embedded fonts looks quite good on first glance.
  2. On PDF placing, an image is shown that looks exactly as the original PDF (no questions are asked). And now I realise that if I select this image, an option called PDF-Passthrough is shown in the toolbar.

So yes, apparently I would very much like to import such files with such a PDF passthrough...

Andreas Weidner

ImportPDF1.png

ImportPDF2.png

+1!!

This is the feature I'm waiting for the most! And to make it even better, I hope they are going to implement the function to place multipage PDFs, so that new needed pages are automatically added.

But as I see there's a lot of progres now (.idml import...), I'm quite optimistic to see these features in the near future!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PDF import should do the following: 

In Publisher, import as an image (e.g. 'pass=through); or as a 'document' (current behaviour) with text boxes and objects.

In Designer, import using available fonts and asking whether to outline or substitute other glyphs.

In Photo, import as an image.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon