You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Ricky, glad you asked that (and counted them!), I was going to do the same.

Weird thing is in FontBook there are only about 5 from that family (plus the variants in drop-downs) but in the Affinity Apps they take up half the font panel..... they are system fonts it seems, not user, so I'm kind of loathe to delete them (although they all look just the same).

29 minutes ago, Geoff777 said:

they are system fonts it seems, not user, so I'm kind of loathe to delete them

Using Font Book you can just turn them off. Deactivate.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I see,

I suppose that Affinity needs to address this problem. Too bad its very obvious, extremely annoying and time consuming.

thank you for your efforts.

1 hour ago, Geoff777 said:

Hi Ricky, glad you asked that (and counted them!), I was going to do the same.

Weird thing is in FontBook there are only about 5 from that family (plus the variants in drop-downs) but in the Affinity Apps they take up half the font panel..... they are system fonts it seems, not user, so I'm kind of loathe to delete them (although they all look just the same).

I suppose that Affinity needs to address this problem. Too bad its very obvious, extremely annoying and time consuming.

thank you for your efforts.

19 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Using Font Book you can just turn them off. Deactivate.

I forgot about that! I'll do that instead. Cheers.

Edit: Hhmm, this is going to take some research.... many of those Noto fonts (and others) have the "disable" box greyed out.

Edited by Geoff777
Add info

2 hours ago, Geoff777 said:

many of those Noto fonts (and others) have the "disable" box greyed out.

Those are for the system and are deemed absolutely necessary. Another reason for me to not upgrade to the new Mac OS.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

13 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Those are for the system and are deemed absolutely necessary. Another reason for me to not upgrade to the new Mac OS.

Thanks. Good plan.... I have a fusion drive in my iMac and tried to install Catalina on a partition to test it. Failed. Then heard there was an update and all OK, went ahead and "upgraded" and it basically bricked the Mac. Had to go to Apple Centre where they had to use terminal to rebuild the fusion drive (apparently SSD had become separate from HDD or something). This involved complete wiping / formatting of the drive.

Good idea to wait until all settled down though I must admit using SideCar with Designer and iPad is really, really handy!

21 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Even for those of us using older Mac OS versions there are probably quite a few system fonts we would never use & so would prefer for them not to clutter up the Affinity context toolbar pop up 'all fonts' list of every enabled font. I know I would.

Since this list is generated by the OS & Affinity (like most other apps) just displays it, I doubt there is anything they can do to change that. However, for Mac users using Font Book to manage their fonts, there is already a feature that offers a partial workaround for this:

If in Font Book you create a Collection, in the Affinity Character Studio the font popup that defaults to "All fonts" will include each of them along with the Affinity "Favorites" & "Missing Fonts" filters.

1609914882_Charpanel.jpg.80324be601098f8f6750105b9d805c4e.jpg

Font Book Collections can include or exclude any fonts you want, whether they are system or not, so you can create as many collection filters & name them however you want (but don't use a name that is exactly the same as the  Affinity "Favorites" one).

This is a useful feature but to use it you have to open the Character panel & select all the text, so it would be great if they could find some way to add this filter to the context toolbar font popup list, like maybe as a replacement for the Affinity "Favorites" filter as a secondary popup menu, if that makes any sense.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Font Book Collections can include or exclude any fonts you want, whether they are system or not, so you can create as many collection filters & name them however you want (but don't use a name that is exactly the same as the  Affinity "Favorites" one).

This is a useful feature but to use it you have to open the Character panel & select all the text, so it would be great if they could find some way to add this filter to the context toolbar font popup list, like maybe as a replacement for the Affinity "Favorites" filter as a secondary popup menu, if that makes any sense.

I have two sets one called "English" and the other called "Current Project" The latter I will set up if I know in advance what fonts I will want to use, the Former is used for those projects that I don't know for sure which fonts will be best.

A set called "Affinity" which would load automatically in place of the system's entire active fonts would be a boon for everyone suffering from a surfeit of system fonts.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I have two sets one called "English" and the other called "Current Project"

I think the "English" one is a Font Book default. Currently, I have around a dozen different Font Book collections, some of them the "smart" (rule based) kind, & I am not sure which ones are defaults or what.

For some reason if any of my "smart" ones use a "Kind" criterion like below, the Affinity apps crash immediately as soon as I select it in the Character panel, but I don't yet have a clue why.

632060933_smartcollectionTTkind.jpg.e43ac530f8b1f32d640e08d654399b66.jpg

Since I want to keep those "smart" ones in Font Book for other reasons, I just have to remember not to select them in Affinity. :S

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

A set called "Affinity" which would load automatically in place of the system's entire active fonts would be a boon for everyone suffering from a surfeit of system fonts.

If you mean for the Context Toolbar dropdown, I think I would prefer the greater flexibility of a sub-menu in place of the "Favorites" button, but as a compromise maybe have that as an additional button & make the button choice sticky?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

I think I would prefer the greater flexibility of a sub-menu in place of the "Favorites" button, but as a compromise maybe have that as an additional button & make the button choice sticky?

Yes to this. I just want a simpler time of fewer never-used yet on-all-the-time system fonts.

• 8 months later...
On 11/17/2019 at 6:56 PM, Ricky James said:

Hi new to AD and AP, I have noticed 60 NOTO front that are unnecessary,Iwe all would like to be able to remove them. Please advise.

see one post thats fixed but not how this was done.

thank you

Ricky James

Hi also found that very annoying. I'll try those advices. Thanks

On 11/19/2019 at 2:47 PM, Old Bruce said:
On 11/19/2019 at 11:49 AM, Geoff777 said:

many of those Noto fonts (and others) have the "disable" box greyed out.

Those are for the system and are deemed absolutely necessary.

Those Google's  Noto fonts aren't grayed out because macOS would need them but because they are stored in System/Library/Fonts, which is read-only.

According to  this Apple forum's post  you can remove the Noto fonts when booting from another volume (–> another macOS installation).
A cumbersome option would be to boot from the Recovery volume, since you don't have the Finder there you would need to use the Terminal.app to remove those fonts. It may help to use the wildcard * (asterisk) to avoid typing all single font file names.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all: I found a solution! Or so I think. 

Just choose English—or any collection you may have created in Font Book—using that drop menu located at the Character panel, as shown in the graphic.

You can also see that there is a new collection on that menu: I added a Test Collection with a bunch of fonts in Font Book, and shows perfectly in that menu.

Hope this helps!

Cesar Alsina

AffinityFontsMenu.png

40 minutes ago, alsina said:

Dear all: I found a solution! Or so I think. 

That works great for the Character panel but unfortunately the dropdown font list in the context toolbar does not have an option to show Font Book collections so it would be nice if it did.

BTW, I have learned that at least on previous versions of the Affinity apps, if you name a Font Book collection "Favorites" Affinity confuses it with its own "Favorites" list with the result that the Character panel dropdown is one off -- whatever you select there shows the next collection's items instead of its own. 

To get around this, just name the Font Book collection to anything else. I went with "FB Favorites" which avoids this problem.

Affinity Photo 

On 9/1/2020 at 10:57 AM, Geoff777 said:

.... that works great! I'll start choosing fonts from the Character Panel instead of the context toolbar.

It works for me, totally. The mechanics are almost identical. I placed permanently the Character panel as top of my left panel group since I started using Affinity apps years ago, so both Font menus are just pixels away. 

🏼🖖🏼  

25 minutes ago, alsina said:

Instant gratification!

For maximum gratification Mac Font Book users can create so-called "smart collections" in Font Book, & they also will appear the Character panel popup list. In older versions of Affinity, for some reason I never figured out, choosing some smart collections would crash the app, but that no longer seems to be a problem in the current versions. :)

So for example, among others I created these two Font Book "smart collections"

355749830_D.Stylemonospaced.jpg.2a812cd0456c5d12f1d5b9c4e2de5c55.jpg 507214088_D.styleSerif.jpg.9a67832631a4137b7e9ef2a5610e2731.jpg

... which makes it easy to filter the list to only monospaced fonts or those in the serif style.

Affinity Photo 

• 10 months later...

SUCCESS!!!

Rightfont and Typeface can disable nearly all of them. 

Wooofreakinhooo!

You can deactivate them in Typeface, but you’ll have to import them manually:

1. Open Typeface
2. Choose File > Import…
3. Navigate to /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental
4. Import the ’Supplemental’ folder

That folder contains optional system fonts, which can be deactivated by Typeface. It includes the ‘document support’ Noto fonts.

• 6 months later...

How to delete NOTO fonts from mac 95% for free

1. Open App Store on your Mac.
2. Download RightFont (Don't download Typeface: It will cost you $36 dollars)
3. Find the Noto fonts. (Just type noto on the search bar on the top left)
4. Once the fonts appear on the right panel, uncheck the green check marks that are above each font to deactivate them!

There are about 7 instances that the fonts are locked. But that's ok. That is about 95% of all NATO fonts gone!!!

You are welcome!

-Arturo Muñoz

Edited by Arturo Muñoz
Clarity

Welcome to the Serif Forums @Arturo Muñoz.  If this really works you are hereby nominated as Font Man Of The Year!🎉

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

If this really works you are hereby nominated as Font Man Of The Year!🎉

It seems to, at least with a quick check I just did in AD. These 7 locked ones can't be disabled, but for me the list is shortened to them:

165569432_fewernoto.jpg.4ffce9a096ae7a1911eb814ae30c267f.jpg

I don't know why Myanmar appears twice....

Affinity Photo