You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird text spacing in Publisher

Hi there.

I'm just starting with Publisher; not much experience in this type of software so i'm assuming I've stuffed up somewhere.  I 'placed' text  from a .docx into my publisher doc.  The docx was all formatted with headings etc but when it went into my text boxes I've got some very weird spacing between paragraphs!  the text flows to the end of the page, and then in *some* (but not all) follow on pages the text starts randomly down the next text box.  It's not always at the same insertion point - can be anything from quite near the top to 3/4 of the way down the box. Anybody got any ideas?

Thank you :-)

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 7.06.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 7.06.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 7.07.07 PM.png

You can show the special (hidden characters) that control things like line breaks by going to Text > Show Special Characters main menu at the top of the affinity app 

Seeing the special characters in the screen shots will help us work your issue out.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, Sarah Ripley said:

Thank you for your time :-)

:D No problem. Interesting would be, what was the difference to your first try?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I'd guess there was something very odd going on.  Some of the text in the docx file was copied from a Pages document.  Bizarrely enough, there seemed to be an 'invisible' image carried over with it!  What I mean by that, is the thumb nail for the docx file showed a picture (that WAS in the Pages file) but when the DocX file was opened - no image to be seen!  Also, my number paragraphs were strangely formatted too.   So, I'd guess that there was some other rogue formatting hiding in the docx file along with that image - all carried over from the Pages doc.

To fix it I cut/pasted all my text from the original docx file I wanted to use, into a NEW docx file, saved then put it into Publisher - and, bingo, it all worked after that.  No more hidden images or weird formatting.  I think it was swapping between word processing apps on my Mac that threw a spanner in the works.

So, all sorted now :) (I hope!!)

To remove the extra step copying the text into a new Word file: Copy the text from your Word document and in Publisher use the menu Edit -> Paste Without Format. Maybe this is a bit quicker.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I've just read another post where the OP was getting big spaces, he discovered it was due to invisible image placeholders; or the residual remains of an invisible placeholder after the image was removed. This is the post, added for reference purposes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I have found the best way for me is to nuke the document in a plain text editor like Note Pad or Note Pad++. That way I don't get any hidden control codes etc., corrupting the text.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200