You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

export dpi not respected

bpedit

Im using Designer 1.7.3 on a 3rd generation iPad Pro. The file type is SVG and the desired dpi is 96. However, the output file has a dpi of 72 regardless of several variations of testing. These include setting the original document to 96 and toggling "use document dpi" in the Export dialog as well as manually setting 96 in the Export dialog. It occurs when exporting a selection or the whole document. I've done about 7 permutations, all with the result of 72 dpi.This happens whether the save target is the Files app on iPad or an AirDrop to my desktop.

My primary use of Designer is creating SVG's for use in CNC machining, the 96 dpi is imperative. I've used Designer on my desktop for a couple years, the iPad version is new to me. Maybe I'm missing something? 

[I am aware that dpi should not be of concern in a vector only file. But it makes a difference when importing into a CAM app, at least the one I use. This particular dpi is necessary to import the SVG at the proper scale.]

• Staff

Hi bpedit,

I believe there could be a fault with the 'Use document resolution' button not reflecting the state correctly. I tried a 96dpi document with a 50mm square and exported out using the SVG (for Export) preset and noticed 'Use document resolution' was unticked, instead of ticked which it should be for that preset. So I ticked and exported it and then opened the file up in Inkscape and the size was reading incorrectly. I selected that preset again and then exported it out (with the 'Use document resolution' appearing off) and that then opened up at the correct size.

So would you mind just trying to export to SVG using the 'SVG (for export)' preset without making any additional changes and see if that works for you!

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

So would you mind just trying to export to SVG using the 'SVG (for export)' preset without making any additional changes and see if that works for you!

The document still exports as 72 dpi. Adding insult to injury, the export converts the document to pixels versus the original mm.

If I AirDrop the export to my iMac then change the units to mm and then change the dpi from 72 back to 96, the size is correct. But if I try these modifications on the iPad, not correct.

Another interesting bug: If another object, unselected, is within the selection rectangle of another object, it will also be exported when the export selection is active.

• Staff
14 hours ago, bpedit said:

The document still exports as 72 dpi. Adding insult to injury, the export converts the document to pixels versus the original mm.

If I AirDrop the export to my iMac then change the units to mm and then change the dpi from 72 back to 96, the size is correct. But if I try these modifications on the iPad, not correct.

Another interesting bug: If another object, unselected, is within the selection rectangle of another object, it will also be exported when the export selection is active.

Hi bpedit,

Can you try importing the two attached PDF files and find if they import with 50mm squares? There is an improvement in with development to allow you to retain a document's unit type when exporting to SVG.

iPadSVGForExport.svg

TestSVGExportFile_MacSVGForExport.svg

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

Can you try importing the two attached PDF files and find if they import with 50mm squares? . . .

Hello Sean,

On my iMac: Both files open in pixels at 72 dpi. If I convert to mm and 96 dpi, the square measures 50 mm. This is the same response I get when I AirDrop an exported SVG from iPad to iMac.

On iPad: The files open in Safari. I then export to the Designer Folder in the Files app. When I open in Designer, as on the iMac, the file is in pixels at 72 dpi. However, the result of changing to mm and 96 pdi is different than on the Mac. The first file square ends up at 88.9 mm, the second file's square resizes to 252.0 mm.

EDIT: After further experimentation I realize Designer's behavior on Mac is no different that on iPad. SVG files are, when exported, converted from mm to pixels and from 96 to 72 dpi. They do, however, open at the proper scale in my CAM app. 

• Staff
15 hours ago, bpedit said:

EDIT: After further experimentation I realize Designer's behavior on Mac is no different that on iPad. SVG files are, when exported, converted from mm to pixels and from 96 to 72 dpi. They do, however, open at the proper scale in my CAM app. 

I'm glad you've got that working. As far as I'm aware SVGs do not store any form of DPI information. Instead applications will expect SVGs to have a preset DPI - for example Inkscape is also 96. This means that when you export a 72dpi document its values will be based on that. This means that when imported into an application working off 96dpi it will be the wrong size.

Of course all of this should be resolved when you can specify a unit type on export!