You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Ive been working in AFDesigner/APhoto for quite some time and I noticed CMYK values are being changed for objects created and modified in Designer.

Cant reproduce for now, not sure if its a bug, all what I have confirmed is CMYK values for a color are NOT constant during modifying an object and/or reopening a document with that object.

Did anybody notice sth similar?

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

21 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

What are the color profile of the Photo and the Designer document?

Consider AF Designer actually: CMYK exclusively.

cheers,

15 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

The color space is not the only important thing. What I asked for, was the color profile.

What else could I attach?

afd1.png

afd2.png

cheers,

5 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

Could you please attach a small(!) AF Photo and Af Designer document exposing your issue?

Follows attached. Iam excercising some car wrapping, cant have STABLE CMYK on blue-yellow elements, cant establish a rule for that...

Encircled RIGHT sample, defined-target CMYK values below.

EKSN_FiatDoblo_02_Layout.afdesign

cheers,

1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

Whatever I do – exporting the file as CMYK TIF and open it in Photoshop, or open the Designer file as is in Affinity Photo, the blue and yellow color values („Target Colors“) are always exactly the same. No discrepancy at all.

That may be great but..I mean working inside AFDesigner, did you notice different blue tones on various objects?

I did it NOT modified them. Checking CMYK values led me to the problem.

cheers,

50 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

did you notice different blue tones on various objects?

If you mean the photos of the vehicle then yes, they are all a bit blue (more cyan than yellow and magenta). I am guessing that you want them to be white, is that correct?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

What should we say? Give us a clear, small example, tell exactly(!) what you did, how you created the elements. How you tried to make sure, that colors are identical and describe the problems. We don‘t know, if you assigned the colors to each element by adjusting the color ramps or by using swatches or if you simply copied the elements, and, and, and …

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

If you mean the photos of the vehicle then yes, they are all a bit blue (more cyan than yellow and magenta). I am guessing that you want them to be white, is that correct?

No, I dont mean the photos.

I mean vector objects that are deep blue and yellow.

Looks any/some operation on such object alters CMYK values by a few units.

cheers,

• 1 month later...

Still confirm.

Saved Designer files DO NOT keep predefined CMYK values !

Moreover: reading back and forth CMYK and RGB values DO NOT present repeatable, same results.

cheers,

1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

What do you mean with „reading back and forth …“? I don‘t understand a word …

Isn‘t it possible to give us a small(!) document with only one element and tell us exactly(!) what to do to reproduce your issue?

Sorry if I understood my knowledge of english language too freely..;

I meant: Ive created some document w/set CMYK values /a logo, not mine but it does not matter for now/, and saved it.

Every time I opened this document after - CMYK values were different from those set at the moment of creation these entities/objects.

CMYK values should be:

1.for BLUE: 100 82 0 32

2.for YELLOW: 0 9 100 0

I repeat: I use this document as a comparable source of previously defined logo colors. Whatever I work on for the client - I open it to check color numbers. They are different every time.

No. I DONT modify them anymore.

ESN_LOGO.afdesign

cheers,

Can’t open your file on Mac. The actual Designer version on Mac is 1.7.3.

The Designer beta doesn’t launch, because there is already a newer shipped version.

The shipped version (1.7.3.) claimes, that your file contains elements created with a newer version.

Nevertheless I bet, you are encountering a simple color profile issue. Bit I can’t check it, because the file doesn’t open.

5 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Can’t open your file on Mac. The actual Designer version on Mac is 1.7.3.

The Designer beta doesn’t launch, because there is already a newer shipped version.

The shipped version (1.7.3.) claimes, that your file contains elements created with a newer version.

Nevertheless I bet, you are encountering a simple color profile issue. Bit I can’t check it, because the file doesn’t open.

What do you mean by 'simple color profile issue' ? Changing color profile for a document results in non-repeatable CMYK/RGB values??!

Maybe its really some simple issue..??

cheers,

What is „non-repeatable??????????

If I

• create a Publisher document using Coated Fogra 27,
  • place the document in Publisher,
  • embed your logo file
  • and check the colors,

I get  for yellow 0.11.100.0 and for blue 100,82,0, 32.

I get these values every time I open the document (of course).

If this is right or wrong, one should have the original logo file (which I, as already notes, can’t open in Designer) and check, which profiles are assigned there.

In addition: The logo document, placed in Publisher, is a RGB (sRGB) document, what explains color differences.

22 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

What is „non-repeatable??????????

If I

• create a Publisher document using Coated Fogra 27,
  • place the document in Publisher,
  • embed your logo file
  • and check the colors,

I get  for yellow 0.11.100.0 and for blue 100,82,0, 32.

I get these values every time I open the document (of course).

If this is right or wrong, one should have the original logo file (which I, as already notes, can’t open in Designer) and check, which profiles are assigned there.

In addition: The logo document, placed in Publisher, is a RGB (sRGB) document, what explains color differences.

Starts to piss me off. Maybe Iam nuts..and see different numbers every time I open LOGO document. OR maybe its Beta AFD issue...

cheers,

I bet, this is no issue at all. But we only can check, if we have the original document with the logo. As I said: It is an RGB doc with colors defined in CMYK – and that is the wrong way to go …

I still don’t understand, what you mean by „… it in non-repeatrable“ Converting colors from CMYK to RGB and back? This of course causes different values each time you do it – by definition. If you want to know why, read my first answer in this thread: 

15 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

I bet, this is no issue at all. But we only can check, if we have the original document with the logo. As I said: It is an RGB doc with colors defined in CMYK – and that is the wrong way to go …

Why 'wrong way to go'?

I started with printable content, agreed some CMYK values with the client, did the work-fine.

After some period I started to work on Wordpress site for his company and need just to READ relevant RGB values for previously agreed CMYK colors-thats all. But THE VALUES should stay the same every time I open this document. Really, maybe Im just nuts.

Btw. v.1.7 attached. Just re-set proper colors for blue and yellow, dont count how many times...

EKSN_logo_v17.afdesign

cheers,

Ok, I nticed, that you attached a 1.7 document, which I now can open.

But nevertheless: Either I don’t understand, what you are saying or I can’t reproduce your issue. Here the color values don’t change at all, when I open the document.

Yellow always is CMYK 0,9,100,0, (RGB: 255, 222, 0) blue always is 100, 82, 0, 32 (RGB 0, 49, 114) The exact same values are shown, when I place the document in a coated Fogra 27 Publisher document.

So, I really don’t know, what you are doing. Could you let us know exactly and step by step, what you are doing to get „wrong“ values.

Been experimenting. In Designer create two objects say a square and a triangle. In the square type in the CMYK values - 100,82,0,32.
Do the same for the triangle with yellow. Note the RGB values. I find saving the file and reopening in Designer or Photo gives the same colour values, as expected, looking at the values in the Colour Chooser panel.

Now create two more objects, say a circle and a diamond.

Now use the colour picker located next to the colour wells and select the blue in the square - the rgb values highlighted by the picker accord with what we have set via cmyk values. Now highlight the circle and select the picked colour swatch (the small circle next to the colour picker). The circle turns blue.

Do the same for the diamond but for the yelllow.

Now compare blues and yellows in the Colour Chooser pannel. The blue and yellow cmyk values in the circle and diamond have different values than in the original square and triangle.

Interestingly, if you take the colour picker and hover over the circle or the diamond, the RGB vaues show as one would expect but the cmyk values show different. So, have the colours actually changed or are the displayed cmyk values simply wrong.

The above is with the current beta but same issue in retail version, although when I input the cmyk blue values for example, it lists different rgb values than the beta!

Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing, and depends on how the various objects have been assigned a colour - through the colour picker? Seems there is a pronblem here, although it might have been reported previously.

But this would be a more than weird Workflow. Measuring the RGB colors via color picker may return the RGB values corrected and modified by your individual monitor profile. Color pickers always are suffering from these kind of issues. We had to fight heavily with these problems for example during the alpha/beta process of Adobe InDesign and later Adobe Muse.

So simply go the „straight“ way and take the values from the color panel.