You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Maximum number of photographs per document

Hi everyone,

I need to create a storybook which will need to contain around 100 photographs in high resolution.  Each photo is about 2 to 3MB in size (taken on a Samsung S10).

Would Affinity Publisher be able to accommodate this size of document?  I recall using Serif PagePlus for a smaller version of this some years ago and it struggled with the sheer size of the file.  In the end I had to re-save each photo in a much lower resolution to keep the document workable, but for this, I need photo quality pictures and this is essential.

Should I be using something else?

Any advice from experienced users, or Affinity, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

There is another user who was creating a photo book - and having problems.

Keep in mind that when you open a 2-3MB photo it can easily be 50MB in memory when uncompressed.
100 photos X 50MB = 5,000MB = 5GB in memory

I mention this because it appears that APub is opening all the images.
In ID you can work with lo-res versions which would be because of this issue.

You can give it a try with the APub trial period.
Keep adding pages and images and see what happens.
B|

Thank you "LibreTraining"

I've already purchased Affinity Publisher, so I'll give it a go.  It will just be real pain if I get xx pages in and start getting crashes or slow responses, hence asking if anyone had done similar, so that's for forwarding Mike's post.

I'll be linking the photo's, not embedding of course, but really hope Serif have changed the 'engine' on how it handles images from the PagePlus days.

Thanks again for your help,

John.

@JohnGH
I remember some old ID articles about manually replacing the images with low-rez versions.
Then editing would go much faster using the smaller low-rez images.
Then replace the low-rez with the full-size images for final output.
Also used for replacing color images with optimized black & white images for different output.
The trick was to replace the image files with files of the same name, in the same location.
Just swapping them in-and-out as needed.
I have not tried this with APub - so I don't know if the resource manager will object.

No one has so far said if such amount of images would cause problems.

I have not either dome any such image heavy Publisher documents but Publisher is a modern layout tool and it should handle hundreds of linked images with ease.