You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequency Separation Video on Vimeo

Hi,

I was curious why the video on Vimeo was explaining the process incorrectly?

It seems like the presenter was doing the steps backwards or just wrong?

Instead of using the Low Frequency layer to fix the tones he is using it for clean up and the Hi Frequency layer for the color tones.

Am I the only one who doesn't do it this way?

Because the end images shows a blurred features.

Just wanted to inquire...

There are many ways of working with frequency separations. This is just one of them.

I always start with the healing tool in order to delete the bis "issues" out of an image. Then I usually use frequency separation to separate the image into a residual layer and different wavelets. This is simply done by splitting the frequencies starting with 1px, then re-split the remaining low frequency layer again with 2px and so on and so on. In the end (due to the incremental depression) you have one residual layer at the bottom (low frequencies, so very blurred) and on top of it the single frequency wavelets (highest on top)

I usually group them and then generate different wavelet layers (where I leave out different of the above wavelets) for masking. The topmost will be one where I leave the highest frequencies in and de-activate e.g. the 3px wavelet. Below it there will be a layer without the 3px and 4px wavelets and so on. If you put these on top of the original and mask the layers, you will have a very precise control over which frequency information you want to mask out in what part of your picture.

You end up with something like this: http://www.frankbroicher.de/photography/gallery/showpic.php?pix=Beauty/FHB_141.jpg(sorry, it may be a bit small, but I assume you get the idea).

Cheers

Frank

Hi,

I was curious why the video on Vimeo was explaining the process incorrectly?

It seems like the presenter was doing the steps backwards or just wrong?

Instead of using the Low Frequency layer to fix the tones he is using it for clean up and the Hi Frequency layer for the color tones.

Am I the only one who doesn't do it this way?

Because the end images shows a blurred features.

Just wanted to inquire...

no,  you are not alone, this is indeed strange because it contradicts the benefits of using fs.  

There are many ways of working with frequency separations. This is just one of them.

I always start with the healing tool in order to delete the bis "issues" out of an image. Then I usually use frequency separation to separate the image into a residual layer and different wavelets. This is simply done by splitting the frequencies starting with 1px, then re-split the remaining low frequency layer again with 2px and so on and so on. In the end (due to the incremental depression) you have one residual layer at the bottom (low frequencies, so very blurred) and on top of it the single frequency wavelets (highest on top)

I usually group them and then generate different wavelet layers (where I leave out different of the above wavelets) for masking. The topmost will be one where I leave the highest frequencies in and de-activate e.g. the 3px wavelet. Below it there will be a layer without the 3px and 4px wavelets and so on. If you put these on top of the original and mask the layers, you will have a very precise control over which frequency information you want to mask out in what part of your picture.

You end up with something like this: http://www.frankbroicher.de/photography/gallery/showpic.php?pix=Beauty/FHB_141.jpg(sorry, it may be a bit small, but I assume you get the idea).

Cheers

Frank

Hi Frank,

Yeah i understand the process of FS. But, in that video it showed the person blurring the skin and removing the details from it which, I think removes the whole point of FS. They could have just blurred the skin and call it a day. :)

no,  you are not alone, this is indeed strange because it contradicts the benefits of using fs.  

CSP, I know everyone has ways of retouching but this just seemed to defeat the purpose of FS. I just think if a tutorial is going to be up there it should show the polished example of how to use FS.

But by no means i'm trying to take away the hard work they have put into making them for us. I do appreciate it. 

Just my 2 cents. :)

I looked at the video again and I have to agree, what he is doing is actually nothing else than removing high frequencies, so basically applying a low pass filter which again is nothing else than blurring. THAT is actually not what frequency separation is capable of. So, I totally agree. 

Andy can you provide a link? I can't see anything new on your Vimeo channel re. FS...

Thanks!

Should be up now.

Thanks

Andy

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Oh ok, strange because the Vimeo page says that video is from 3 weeks ago...

Hey Ronny, It's the same link that i posted above. They just updated the video.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17