You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am a beginner at all this and I need help

I have a png file that is my logo.  The logo is a solid color with I believe a transparent background.  I want to be able to change the color of my logo and fade the color from Orange to Yellow.  I have no clue as to where I can start.  

Can someone please give me step by step instructions as to how this can be done.  I will attach the file I am using if that helps

Thank You

Mid Valley PNG Orange.png

Flood Fill Tool, select desired color, and click to orange area. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Welcome to the forums @Dee1979

There are probably lots of ways to do this.
The Flood Fill tool (by itself) as mentioned above won’t give you a gradient and will also give you a jaggy result.
I have attached a GIF which shows a nice simple technique (you might need to watch it a few times) that also allows you to alter the gradient later if you’re not happy with it, or you can replace the gradient with an image (as per the attached image at the bottom of this post).

I hope this helps.

P.S. Aploogies for the colour quality on the GIF.

gradient-overlay.gif

Annotation 2019-11-16 122628.png

Which Affinity app do you have, Photo, Designer, or Publisher?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There you go you can edit this in Affinity Designer, it's now a curve so can easily be recoloured and exported to PNG, I've saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel to see how it was converted to vector.

MidValley-Orange.png.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I was asked for more information so I’ll post it here so more people can find it.

You can achieve this result in either Designer or Photo, but in different ways. (Publisher, in itself, doesn’t have the necessary selection tools.)

In Photo:
1. Open the image.
2. Choose menu “Select → Alpha Range → Select Fully Transparent”.
3. Choose menu “Select → Invert Pixel Selection”.
4. Choose menu “Select → Feather...”.
5. In the Feather Selection dialog, change the Radius to 1px and press the Apply button.
6. In the Layers Panel, press the “Mask Layer” button (looks like a rectangle with a hole in it).
7. In the Layers Panel, press the “Add Pixel Layer” button (looks like a grid of squares).
8. Choose menu “Select → Deselect”.
9. In the Layers Panel, drag the new pixel layer inside the Background (original image) layer.
10. Select the Gradient Tool (colourful circle with a short diagonal line through it).
11. Drag a gradient across the whole of the original image.
12. Use the context toolbar of the Gradient Tool to alter the gradient as necessary (for instructions see the Help).

In Designer:
1. Create a new document.
2. Choose menu “File → Place”.
3. Select the image and press the “Open” button.
4. Click anywhere on the canvas and move/resize the image as required.
5. In the Layers Panel, right-click the image layer and choose “Rasterise...” (this is an important step).
6. Go to the “Pixel Persona”.
7. Choose menu “Select → Select Sampled Colour...”.
8. Click anywhere there is colour in the original image and press the “Apply” button (if you don’t do this step your mask will be wrong).
9. In the Layers Panel, press the “Mask Layer” button (looks like a rectangle with a hole in it).
10. Go to the “Designer Persona”.
11. Select the Rectangle tool.
12. Drag a rectangle which completely covers the original image.
13. Select the Gradient Tool (colourful circle with a short diagonal line through it).
14. Drag a gradient across the whole of the rectangle.
15. In the Layers Panel, drag the rectangle inside the original image layer.
16. Choose menu “Select → Deselect”.
17. Use the context toolbar of the Gradient Tool to alter the gradient as necessary (for instructions see the Help).

You can do each of these things in slightly different ways and re-order the steps sometimes so it is worth experimenting. (For instance, in the Designer version above you can use a pixel layer instead of a rectangle, as in the Photo version, but I thought I’d show a slightly different way.)

I hope these instructions are useful.

Personally, I would take a completely different path:
- send the image to https://www.vectorizer.io
- download svg,
- apply vector gradient in ADe (type and colors as needed).

image.png.c30880c28022885530b81564f320bf28.png image.png.3b06be3370c7f8d2a03ee1c349f820a9.png

Background is transparent, logo is vector = arbitrary size and resolution, fully customise.

Logo.afdesign

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I think it’s worth adding that, if you are asked to work on a logo (or other illustration) that is sent/given to you by someone else, be sure to ask them to check if there is already an SVG (or even EPS or PDF) version of it that you can use.
Not everyone knows about vector format files and the person sending the image might not know what an SVG file is or whether it would be useful, so they might just send you the JPG or PNG that they know about, maybe because it is used in a website or whatever.
A lot of time and effort can be eliminated by simply asking for everything they have with a similar filename.
Sometimes the original vector graphic, if there was one in the first place, can get lost over time but you never know if you don’t ask.