You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.502] PDF Export Failing, Object identified

I have a Rect with a nested curve that causes a PDF to fail to be exported.

Can I get a private Dropbox link to upload an example designer 1.73 document?

(Also failing for Publisher 1.8.0.502)

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

OK, done, thanks.

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

• Staff

Thanks,

It isn't the nested curve, it's the gradient that is tripping the app up.

Where did this gradient come from? If you look at it, it has around a gradient path with 300 nodes in, when it could be achieved with 2, so I assume this was imported from somewhere and not manually created?

Either way we can probably do better, but I'm curious how the gradient was created.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

It came from a PDF that I opened in Affinity and tried to export it again and it failed.

It would also be good to know at what page it fails if that would be possible, because I then started to manually define ranges to export to get close to the page were it might fail to nail down the exact page.

Then I selected some elements and flattened them, to identify the single item later.

• Staff

That's a fair improvement, but trickier that it sounds but something we are hoping to improve.

Do you know what the PDF came from? Any chance of attaching the PDF (or uploading it). I just want to check we didn't do anything wrong on the import

The problem is, that I cannot distribute the document.

I tried to split the page with pdf24 creator, but I saw it changes already the header (PDF 1.6 to PDF 1.7), I don't know if that would be of any help as it changes the original document a bit, even if I used "just assemble" without any change of quality?

I uploaded it to the dropbox.

• Staff

I can't find any examples of the "weird" gradient in that PDF, I was just curious of the gradient with 100's of nodes in was written into the pdf that way (so we import it as it is and just need to handle the export side of it better) or if we imported it wrong.

I've logged the export error anyway to see if we can do any better, if you simplify the gradient it should export fine in your main document

But if you import the PDF I uploaded in Designer and try to export it again as PDF, it still fails, right?

I just did it again, cut the PDF to have only this page with PDF24 (just assemble) and imported the result in Designer and an error occurs when trying to export as PDF.

As it shows the same problem with the gradient?

Gradient.png.48da6fa902e010dea51f81023dc416ca.png

• Staff

Yes it does, it will fail in all our apps due to the amount of fill nodes that gradient contains, but I'm struggling to see that gradient in the pdf you uploaded so i'm not sure if we did something wrong on import or whatever created that gradient did a bad job writing it to PDF.

We should be able to do better here and I've logged it so we can look at it.

• Staff

Just to update, I found that gradient in the PDF and inspecting the PDF shows the same issue with the gradient, so whatever wrote this PDF probably could be doing a better job (the gradient fill could be achieved with 2 fill nodes but it uses hundreds)

Either way, we should still be able to export it without issue and that's logged!

Thanks for the update, good to know it was in the pdf already. I cant tell what wrote the original PDF, it's not from me.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.