You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

layer effects are in pixel not mm

Just as I was testing the fantastic new IDML conversion, I noticed Publisher tries to match layer effects (drop shadows) pretty good.

The only problem is: the offset and radius is displayed in px not in mm anymore.
Is that even possible in Publisher?

1910861303_Bildschirmfoto2019-11-15umINDD.thumb.png.4467ff049411dbbccc0f16fb496bee73.png2007798401_Bildschirmfoto2019-11-15umIDML.thumb.png.1c560cdfb97bd6ad896107902e89be4c.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• Staff

I believe these will always be in pixels (or %). It will be converting the mm to pixels when loading in these values.

There is an issue logged where certain filter effects values are different to the idml file (even before it would convert them) which can lead to some effects looking a bit different, so there may be some future improvements in this area.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

OK, thanks... but this was not quite the answer I wanted to get...

I believe strongly, that the units of a document should be set to the users preference.
There can be calculations from an internal base unit of which the developers can choose freely, but for the user it should not matter.

Publisher-documents are mostly real-world size, you measure in millimetres or inches or thumbs (whatever the imperial unit is...) so I put in my offset in an understandable way – I don't calculate which resolution my document has, and experimenting is also not a very professional approach...

Yes, for the input, maybe it works with mm, but when I later come back, I won't remember how much these 34pixels were...

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

17 minutes ago, woefi said:

I believe strongly, that the units of a document should be set to the users preference.

This is, though, not related to the IDML import function. The Outer Shadow measurements in the Affinity applications are always in px, regardless of the units for the document itself.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/15/2019 at 12:56 PM, walt.farrell said:

This is, though, not related to the IDML import function.

True, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed, and the title of this thread does point to the units used in layer effects rather than the IDML import.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.