You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use gradient tool, the BASICS?

I have brought the original photo into AF. I clicked New to import and a window appeared with 72 dpi. Should it remain that figure or 300?

Then I clicked Open and my image appeared, so I will begin with cropping, color, sharpening, retouch, etc before applying the instruction from this thread for a slight ND grad in the sky. This will be my first complete attempt from beginning to end. Thanks for all the assistance!

Starting with a new image. Will use crop, straighten, color, burn, dodge before doing my ND grad, so there may be some questions before I return to the original question on this link. The adjustments were done in Aperture before I brought the image over for the ND grad earlier. This time all in AF from the start.

First question is why the yellow caution triangle in the histogram? And how to correct?

Thx

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 9.12.20 AM.png

24 minutes ago, SF Charter Boat said:

First question is why the yellow caution triangle in the histogram? And how to correct?

Hover the mouse pointer over the triangle. :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

A little off topic, starting to go through what I normally use most of the time as tools in Aperture and learning them in AF, not sure to continue this thread or start a new, but my question is on sharpening. How to do it simply? Have spent time going through the youtube tutorials but cannot find a simple tool where I can click on the size and strength. Gosh, the number of things one has to go through I just could not follow, the High Pass (?) just the beginning of what is a number of things that have to be done. Seems very complicated for what was a simple tool in an outdated editing system, Aperture.

I go to the top under Filters and there are three choices, but I did not find what I want, just want area specific determined by size and intensity

Does this exist in AF?

TBH I would post this as a new topic with a new title - it's likely to get more notice that way, and people with Aperture experience (ie not me :$) may well chime in.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.