You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ghost frames, missing content, pub get stuck

Hi again,

beta 499 & 502 (ghost frames only appeared in 502)

I can't really split the behaviour descripted below in different issues - I guess you need the files and look into it .. if ...
But before I have to say, this is a  test on one brochure, but I experienced it on several different documents already.
Here I made a 28 page A4 brochure with 43 afphoto files (placed and linked), originally created with pub 1.7.3 production version.
Next  I opened that in 499 and saved it - using  the first time the resource managers collect function now, next saved in 502.
To be very sure, that no side problems appear, I kicked off the logos from that document (afdesign files), so only afphoto's are placed.
And I renewed ALL afphoto files into clear  1.7.3 production version afphoto files.

If you say, that it's not ok to work with a publisher file derived originally out of a 1.7.3 pub file, than we should stop here and I have to make a new brochure from scratch with V 502, to be sure what's going on. Otherwise:

1. As all afphotos were renewed I had to reorganize them a bit (problem on 502: many pictures snap into 25% size first and on this file: anytime you re-open that file, so pinned photos maybe have moved.
2. For a while I could work, scroll pages, reposition picture etc., as suddenly Publisher get stuck. Next time it works a while until it happens again. Very randomly. In some cases, resource manager etc.could be opened, but pages could not be selected any longer or  page scrolls could not be done. In one in case, I clicked on Master Page and Publisher vanished immediatly.
3. I have noticed this behaviour many times before (on several documents), and so far I remember, such problems do not appear if all placed images are tiffs instead of afphotos or afdesigns!!
4. You can see on the picture below, that on page 16 (left side) the last sentence was originally on page 17 (first line) and the picture on the upper right (you see a part) was originally pinned to this sentence. Due to the renewing process it moved. So I shortened the text frame down on page 16 and the text and the pinned picture were gone. I found them again by enlarging the frame again, unpinned  the image and reduced the frame on page 16 again. Suddenly this ghost frame appeared instead, but not the text. The ghost is totally untouchable. I clicked on the triangle on page 16 and made a new frame, now the text appeared again (as you can see on the picture), but he ghost insists to stay.
5. On page 27 there is text frame (as it should be) but the content is missing. If I click on that frame and move it, a number of line appears, indicating that there is something, but it stays invisible !? Forget his point 5, its maybe only because pages have been moved, I can't go on to that now w/o problems.)

If you think it's worth looking into it, I can upload the whole stuff (278 MB!) including a correct printed .pdf (from the original 1.7.3 version) as a reference.

757581072_Ghostframes.JPG.0f5b596fc12e249a2987cb73e5f4fd33.JPG

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon