You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color management broken in Windows 10 version 1903

Color management is a major issue for many who post in these forums, yet I have not seen anything here about this problem in Windows 10 version 1903.

Monitor calibration using a Spyder5Pro failed the other day under Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1903. The response from Datacolor is that Windows color management was broken with the release of version 1903. The problem affects all manufacturers of calibration equipment. Various solutions were suggested, none of which are sure to work. Those that might work can be expected to fail following another calibration or Windows update. An Internet search shows the problem has been known ever since version 1903 was first released several months ago. Windows cannot be expected to load a particular ICC profile or apply it even when it appears to be loaded. My system claims to have reverted to a monitor profile supplied by Dell, not my custom profile generated earlier by the Spyder.

Does anyone at Serif have knowledge of this problem and when a fix from Microsoft might be expected.

As an amateur, color management is way beyond my level of expertise, and it is not really an  issue for me. I was perfectly happy with my photo prints before I bought the Spyder5 a year ago. But I understand this is a huge issue for professionals.

Here are a couple of references about the problem from Datacolor that were just updated this morning. Perhaps the issue is fixed in Windows 10 Version 1909 that was announced on November 12.

https://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1849/0/alert-bug-in-microsoft-windows-10-build-1903-causing-icc-profiling-issues

https://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1847/0/windows-10-may-2019-update-windows-10-build-1903--unable-to-create-and--or-activate-an-icc-profile-in---spyderx-spyder5-and-spyder4

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1909

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/11/12/how-to-get-the-windows-10-november-2019-update/

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

@Granddaddy

I have Windows 10 1903 and use an x-rite Color Munki Display to calibrate my monitor on a regular basis, normally once every four weeks.  So I think that Datacolor's assertion that this "affects all manufacturers of calibration equipment" is not totally correct!  (I just checked again and my monitor is running the profile that the Color Munki unit created on November 5, 2019, some weeks after the 1903 Win update was installed on this machine.)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

2 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

Does anyone at Serif have knowledge of this problem and when a fix from Microsoft might be expected.

According to the Datacolor knowledgebase link in your original post, this issue has already been resolved:

Microsoft has confirmed that there have been issues with color profiles in saving, overwriting, activating, etc., and they have provided a patch "KB4505903" as a solution to fix this problem.

Run the Windows 10 Update function manually to make sure you have the latest updates installed. You can also check your Windows update history.

Also if you have updated your Windows 10 to Build 1909 this issue should be resolved.

Microsoft also confirm the information in the Datacolor post here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

Gamma ramps, color profiles, and night light settings do not apply in some cases

Originating update:
OS Build 18362.116
May 21, 2019
KB4505057

Details:
Microsoft has identified some scenarios where gamma ramps, color profiles and night light settings may stop working.

Microsoft has identified some scenarios in which these features may have issues or stop working, for example:
- Connecting to (or disconnecting from) an external monitor, dock, or projector
- Rotating the screen
- Updating display drivers or making other display mode changes
- Closing full screen applications
- Applying custom color profiles
- Running applications that rely on custom gamma ramps

Affected platforms:
Client: Windows 10, version 1903

Resolution: 
This issue was resolved in KB4505903 and the safeguard hold has been removed.

After posting this morning and learning that Windows 10 Version 1909 was available, I updated to Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. It took only a few minutes, unlike earlier version updates that took upwards of an hour or two.

I am happy to report that my calibration with the Spyder5Pro now runs to completion and the new monitor profiles are loaded and applied. Version 1909 apparently fixed whatever the color managemtn problem was in Windows 10 Version 1903.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060