Sign in to follow this  
lekrul

Affinity Photo - share to Aperture or Photos doesn't work properly

Bought AP today via AppStore.

Tested import and development, works fine, but:

When I tried to share my work to Aperture or Photos I always get a Jpeg of low quality. I tried to fix it in the Export Persona, but it didn't work either. Tried retina solution, didn't work.

The normal export to the desktop works fine and at normal speed, but sharing to Aperture/Photos takes several seconds in comparison.

The original file was 3648 x 5472, the shared/exported to Aperture/Photos was always 875 × 1313, and it was always a Jpeg even if I chose PNG for export.

Apart from that: When I start Pixelmator via Aperture, I do my work in Pixelmator and close it the work is automatically imported back in Aperture. This doesn't work with Affinity Photo, which makes it necessary for me to organize my files differently if 'share to' doesn't work.

I hope you can fix both 'bugs'.

Kind regards.

Hi I've managed to replicate this and I shall get it logged for you.

The share option is separate to the export and export persona so any settings there will not effect the output from share

Just for some further information to help me narrow it down, It seems like you are using raw files, would you be able to try with just a regular jpeg or png and see if there is a size difference?

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi I've managed to replicate this and I shall get it logged for you.

The share option is separate to the export and export persona so any settings there will not effect the output from share

Just for some further information to help me narrow it down, It seems like you are using raw files, would you be able to try with just a regular jpeg or png and see if there is a size difference?

Ok, tried to 'share to Aperture' with a Jpeg file, same reduction happened. It would be nice to get settings for the option 'share to' so one can handle this separately from export, as I haven't found them anywhere. It seems to be hidden from users.

I can confirm that on my Aperture 3.6.

Honestly, first I thought it was a bug that I cannot simply save a PSD file back to Aperture, after having sent the file to AP. Searching the forums, I found this report and tried back to export to Aperture. Seeing the same issue.

Opening a 8-bit PSD (5174x2317) in Aperture -> open with AP. Do some tiny tasks on the background to dirty the file. Save-> wouldn't save back to the PSD... and Export produces a JPG-file of size 1241x566.

Is there already existing a feature request for the workflow roundtrip Aperture -> edit PSD or TIFF in AP -> cmd-S -> save back into Aperture hierarchy. ?

I thought I tested it thoroughly... but now I see that setting Aperture to export TIFF (8 or 16bit) to Affinity Photo allows me to edit the file in AP and then cmd-S actually writes back the changes to the very TIFF file created in Aperture. So, PSD does not seem to work (AP wants me to save it in its proprietary format outside the Aperture library), but TIFF does work on my machines. This is good news. 

I thought I tested it thoroughly... but now I see that setting Aperture to export TIFF (8 or 16bit) to Affinity Photo allows me to edit the file in AP and then cmd-S actually writes back the changes to the very TIFF file created in Aperture. So, PSD does not seem to work (AP wants me to save it in its proprietary format outside the Aperture library), but TIFF does work on my machines. This is good news. 

Ah, yes, thank you, that works now. I don't know why it didn't work, maybe I had been distracted by the information that it will be reduced to pixels (of course, Aperture doesn't use layers). Cool.

@lekrul and others

I posted on similar lines this morning.  Everything works OK if I edit then export (from AP)/import (to Aperture).   It usually works using the "share" function, but not always (seems to depend on what I do when editing, but not sure).  

The above applies whether the original in Aperture is a NEF or JPEG.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

@lekrul and others

I posted on similar lines this morning.  Everything works OK if I edit then export (from AP)/import (to Aperture).   It usually works using the "share" function, but not always (seems to depend on what I do when editing, but not sure).  

The above applies whether the original in Aperture is a NEF or JPEG.

Thank you, when I asked the question I didn't realize this: When you open a pic via Aperture to edit in AP you simply need to 'save' the image and quit AP to get it saved to Aperture (I didn't read the pop up window telling me saving will reduce the layers to pixels only). Now that this works I don't need the share function.