You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I recently purchased Affinity Photo and I followed the video instructions on how to import lens profiles via GitHub lensfun. However I've encountered a snag where although the lens I have is supported when I open the RAW files no lens profile is detected. I'm wondering if there's some step or oddity on Windows that I might have stumbled over. Failing that, I'm wondering if there's a way to force Photo to use the profile. Any help would be appreciated, and advance apologies if this question has already been asked and answered and I missed it during my search of the forums.

PS: The lens in question is a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 AE ED AS IF UMC; Rokinon is just a different name for Samyang and the lens is listed in lensfun as Samyang 14mm f/2.8 AE ED AS IF UMC. I don't believe that the different name for the same lens should cause a problem but I could be wrong.

• Staff

Hi Vaska Raeca,

Welcome to the forums :) 

21 minutes ago, Vaska Raeca said:

The lens in question is a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 AE ED AS IF UMC; Rokinon is just a different name for Samyang and the lens is listed in lensfun as Samyang 14mm f/2.8 AE ED AS IF UMC. I don't believe that the different name for the same lens should cause a problem but I could be wrong.

Our automatic lens detection is based on name, which is why your lens correction isn't being automatically applied. Could you please upload a sample RAW file so I can forward this to our developers in order to better handle these files in the future? You can upload this file to the following link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/OGC9Gw0XIUTQJaPB69GR

23 minutes ago, Vaska Raeca said:

Failing that, I'm wondering if there's a way to force Photo to use the profile

Currently, in the Develop Persona there's no way to choose which Lens Profile is in use, however this is something our devs are working on and should be included in a future update. In the meantime, you can apply any installed lens profile in the Photo Persona, under Layer>New Live Filter Layer>Distort>Lens Distortion.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello community, I faced the same problem with Samyang 12mm f/2. These are prime lenses without autofocus (Samyang / Walimex / Rokinon / Meike ...). EXIF data misses "lenstype", "lensmodel", "FocalLength", "ApertureValue", "FNumber" and so on. So I digged into it and here is my solution:

Use exiftool to modify the EXIF data of your raw file, e.g.

exiftool.exe -overwrite_original -lenstype="12mm F2.0 NCS CS" -lensmodel="12mm F2.0 NCS CS" -FocalLength="12" -ApertureValue="8" -FNumber="8" FILENAME

All parameters seem to be interpreted by Affinity Photo. lenstype or lensmodel must match the model tag in the lensfun db. FocalLength must match the focal parameter in the lenses calibration section of lensfun XML. Maybe also the aperture value is interpreted by Affinity Photo. Not sure about that. Once you have matching parameters, the correction profile is applied automatically. However the mapping is interpreted by Affinity Photo algorithm, nice feature would be the user could force the selection via a simple menu maker > model > mount. 

Kind regards,
Torsten

AffinityPhoto_LensProfileSelection.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for posting a workaround :)

17 hours ago, T_MZ_2019 said:

However the mapping is interpreted by Affinity Photo algorithm, nice feature would be the user could force the selection via a simple menu maker > model > mount. 

We're currently working on a feature which will allow you to select which Lens Profile is in use when developing your image from a list of installed lenses - this should hopefully be available shortly!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

in the meantime, while you're developing that, can you please post some instructions on using tools like exiftool.  Many of the lenses supported as MF on MFT for example do not have electronic ID setting, and must be setup manually.  However even copying the example given by Torsten above for that lens on MFT, I'm not getting lens detection.  The raw files before I modify them therefore have no lens data.  Note the 2 lenses I'm currently trying to setup are both listed as supported, the Samyang 12.0mm f2.0 and the Venus Laowa 7.5mm f2.0

Can you please list the fields you use for checking, possibly per camera manufacturer since Olympus for example have a custom LensID field.  Can you also point me to where the list of supported models is within the mac install.   Torsten has shown the Windows location, which is useful for validating values.

thanks

• Staff

Hi finagle,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately I can't publicly document the algorithms we use, however our next update (version 1.8) will include a 'lens model list' when in the Develop Persona, so you can manually assign a profile to your RAW image.

If your camera is not writing this lens data, there's no way of changing this in Affinity Photo, you will simply have to manually select this Lens when developing your image.

You can find a full list of our supported lenses below the RAW support here - 

Please note -

Many thanks!

20 hours ago, finagle said:

in the meantime, while you're developing that, can you please post some instructions on using tools like exiftool.

Everything you could ever want to know about ExifTool is here. It's a command line utility (works in most OSs) and the learning curve is by no means shallow. It's well supported though and there's an active and helpful user forum.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

@Dan C

I'm disappointed that you consider how you read exif to be proprietary. That seems counterintuitive, given the open access to the metadata provided by open source tools and manufacturers.  I can completely understand how you apply that information to develop the image being proprietary, but that's not what I was asking for.  I asked how to configure the process, using exif, not the algorithm for processing.  In the meantime other applications will read the data I'm setting manually using exiftool and apply lens profiles, so I guess I don't use Affinity with manual lenses till 1.8 (which is due?).  Sadly I shoot a lot with manual lenses.

@h_d  I didn't say i didn't know how to use exiftool, I asked for a reference as to the fields being read, so they could be set using tools like exiftool.  

On OSX this works for me...

exiftool -lenstype='Venus Laowa 7.5mm f2.0' -FocalLength='7.5mm' ~/Pictures/Imports/PGX90456.rw2 -overwrite_original

1645321186_Screenshot2019-12-05at21_32_04.thumb.png.826278b7f2a9cd5e78d778b9145e5bfe.png

I don't actually possess that particular lens - I ran the command on a Panasonic .rw2 file using a different manual focus lens.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Done a bit more probing and I have successfully used ExifTool to set a -lenstype value that appears in the Lens Distortion panel in AP.'s Develop mode:

exiftool  -lenstype='VENUS LAOWA 7.5/F2.0' -FocalLength='7.5mm'  ~/file-path-here  -overwrite_original

2045808744_Screenshot2019-12-07at13_05_03.png.baf0e00517a49e103cb20b5636b7226b.png  1804300683_Screenshot2019-12-07at13_13_10.thumb.png.468e22fc58001553adc704590d97b13a.png

Capitalisation and punctuation appear to be important. The image was shot using a Panasonic Lumix GX-7 camera and a LUMIX G 25mm f1.7 lens. I don't know if it will work with other makes of camera.

Checking and unchecking the box shows a difference in the image - without the actual lens I obviously can't tell if the correction is accurate or not.

Hope this helps someone...

• 5 weeks later...

sorry, back in country now.

From your command line, setting the lens type on the Panasonic raw files seems to accept a text value, however in their infinite wisdom Olympus use a byte value which is a lookup into a list they maintain.  So setting Lens Type field is only possible or useful if Olympus support the lens, which of course, they don't for companies like Laowa and Samyang.  This is one of the bugbears with M43, all OEMs are not treated equally.  

So unless Affinity read other values, like Lens Make and Lens Model Olympus users are stuck for now.  Which is a shame, since Lens Model is used by other software successfully.

Having the option in the UI is basically useful, but can you please make sure you add it to the batch processing as well, so the conversion there can use a profile.