You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I make bezier angle snap to 45 or 90 degrees?

Hi,

Is there a way to make bezier handles snap to 45 or 90 degrees? Most apps allow for this by holding down shift, but shift behaved differently in Affinity Designer, snapping to the existing curve.

The only workaround i've found so far is to use the pen tool to redraw the bezier curve by clicking and dragging on the same point while holding shift.

Is there another way to do this?

Thanks.

Seems to work fine for me, check it out!

Hey Evtonic3, thanks for the reply.  

I can do what you're doing as well, but the problem I'm having is once you have made a bezier curve, I can't align the handles to 45 or 90 degrees once they've already been created. This can be done in illustrator by holding down shift when you have a handle selected. 

See attached video for comparison.

bezier-snap.mov

I asked for this feature long time ago (here). Someone said that The features you are requesting (snapping) are being discussed in this thread, but almost 1 year later I don't see how I can really do what you show in your latest video, Nametag. And this is an important feature, IMHO.

Maybe is there some hidden shortcut to get this that I'm not aware?

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

I've tried many different key combinations in attempt to get this to work without any luck.

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been brought up more often.  It's a pretty fundamental technique when drawing with bezier curves to use 45 and 90 degree angles.

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been brought up more often.  It's a pretty fundamental technique when drawing with bezier curves to use 45 and 90 degree angles.

I'd agree with this. 

And it surely wouldn't be a big deal to code this.

The problem is getting the devs to put the task near the front of the queue. – Which starts with getting their attention.

• Staff

Improvements to snapping in the Node/Pen tool are coming soon. We will address snapping existing handles onto fixed angles.

We are not ignoring you - there was a raft of improvements we were making, the first half has been done (custom grids, etc).  The second half are coming soon.

Snapping a bezier can already be achieved by re-dragging out a node using the Pen tool (not the Node tool). While not ideal, it still allows you to achieve what you are trying to do. Drag from an existing point and hold shift.  The new node will be snapped to 45degrees.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On that note, pbass, I wonder what is priority? Do they tackle the artboards, plugins, and raw file people first, or do they do the infinite list of little requests like this thread? Personally I am the type of person that wants to do all the little things first, at least at the end of the day I can say I did stuff that I can show for it. That's just me.

• Staff

Generally, we do things in an order that makes logical sense for a development point of view.  Obviously, we fix bugs as a priority.  Then we have our road map - these are the things we are committed to.  If we can squeeze other little features or tweaks in along the way, we do if it's not going to impact on the road map.

It's very hard to quantify the work involved in any given feature.  Hence why we don't make any promises on delivery dates.

You can rest assured though that we take every request seriously.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ben, thanks for following up.  I've been using your suggested way to draw beziers on fixed angles, and like you said, it's not ideal but it's a solution for now.

As I'm sure you know, there's not really a way for us to know that a request or bug is being heard unless we get confirmation from a moderator.  So again, thanks for following up and letting us know that this is in the queue.

Improvements to snapping in the Node/Pen tool are coming soon. We will address snapping existing handles onto fixed angles.

We are not ignoring you - there was a raft of improvements we were making, the first half has been done (custom grids, etc).  The second half are coming soon.

It's awesome to get your acknowledgement of requests – it confirms that the lines of communication are working full circle, and that our user needs/wishes have value. You wouldn't believe how much this strengthens user allegiance.

All hail the Affinity devs! :^)

• Staff

Thanks.

We do have a massive number of posts to read since Photo went on sale - way more than when we just had Designer out there.  So, if we don't respond immediately, it's not because we are ignoring posts.  There's just a lot of them now!  ...and we also have to write some code.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

This has been done, but didn't make it into the current round of Betas.  It will Beta after the next major release has been made.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 2015-7-21 at 6:20 PM, Ben said:

We do have a massive number of posts to read since Photo went on sale - way more than when we just had Designer out there.  So, if we don't respond immediately, it's not because we are ignoring posts.  There's just a lot of them now!  ...and we also have to write some code.

Good grief !

Have Serif staff never heard of multi-tasking ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 year later...