You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unidirectional motion blur, s'il vous plait

When you want to show something moving (eg car), you might decide to use a motion blur. But it seems that if you set, say 0', the blur goes both left and right. So 180' has exactly the same effect.

Sometimes this is handy, so I wouldn't just 'fix' this.

What would be nice would be a little checkbox that says 'unidirectional'. Or make unidirectional the default and make the checkbox 'bidirectional'. Comme ci, comme ca.

Merci bien, mes amis!

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You can use the Erase Brush on the Live Motion Blur Filter to remove the part of the blur you don’t want.

Yes, thanks GarryP. Just did this on the leading edge. Yet a checkbox would be so much easier...

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

On 11/14/2019 at 10:00 AM, haakoo said:

Or use this approach and fully editable

Olivio shows useful tips, but I'm not sure how this would be used for unidirectional blur on irregular-shaped object.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:03 AM, GarryP said:

I don’t use motion blur very much myself (hardly at all) but wouldn’t allowing for a unidirectional blur give you a very sharp ‘edge’ to one side of the blur which would have to be fixed somehow?

Yes, it is a sharp edge. It's like using second-curtain sync on a flash photo.

Dave Straker