You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was wondering....

Are there any plans to have old school bezier curve clipping paths available in photo? As Ps has... and if not any plans to have them?

I use all three Affinity apps and have no Adobe on my system (which is crazy but great). Clipping paths for me would complete photo.

Rob

It would be say... I don't know.. A shot of a phone and I want to clip it to delete the background.

I find clip paths quick and easy to do for objects and have 20 years of doing it. I find the selection brush for such things a little hit and miss. I have used selection brushes in Ps but always return to pathing. Unless its a people shot with hair; then the selection brush is better.

A good chunk of my work is technical images to do with energy and engineering and a clip path is good to drop out the background quickly and cleanly.

That said your idea shows promise.

Cheers

Rob

Using paths to remove backgrounds in Affinity results transparency in TIF and PSD export. It results white background with JPEG. Thus you can use it like any transparency (alpha) effect.

Transparency can also have partial transparency and feather edges, which the clipping path cannot do. Clipping path on the other hand gives absolute edge sharpness which transparency (alpha) generally cannot match.

But if you place transparency image above text object in InDesign text below will be rasterized. True clipping path will leave text as it is. Though I am not sure how Publisher behaves in this case – if you place native afphoto file with clipping path to a Publisher document it may work ok(?).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am a beginner in Affinity, but I love it. I tried to do clipping paths in APhoto, too, but as jpg, it doesn't work for me (as I have read, I ticked the option: convert clips to paths during export to jpg). The image exported as a tiff format works nice - see both images placed in Affinity publisher. Is there some advice, what I did wrong? Thank you.

test-clipping-path1.jpg

test-clipping-path.jpg