You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - ACES Workflow Questions

HI, 

I'd like to better understand how to best implement an ACES workflow in Photo for 3D still EXR renders. My goal is to be able to work in the expanded colorspace that ACES provides for editing and be able to export my images for print (with an AdobeRGB profile) and web (sRGB). I'm currently using Octane as my render engine which at this time will only render to the sRGB primaries in linear EXR format. ACES is planned for the upcoming release however so I'd like clarification on 2 scenarios. If anyone has deeper insight into this I'd really appreciate the feedback. I watched the Affinity Photo OpenColorIO video (https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/329071149), but trying to apply this process with ACES just added more confusion. @jamesritson this would be a great topic for another video! (also thanks for creating all of the tutorial videos, they're well done and very helpful!)

Scenario 1: Converting a linear (sRGB) EXR render to ACEScg for editing and then exporting either an sRGB for screen or an AdobeRGB image for print

As far as I understand it, there are three components to this process: 
  • Setting your color preferences OCIO config file to the ACES config (I'm using the latest 1.0.3)
  • The 32-bit Preview panel Display Transform
  • The OCIO Adjustment layers

For the 32-bit Display Transform, what do I need to set it to in this scenario? 
  • With ICC it looks exactly as it did in my IPR in Octane.
    • Following along with the video this would seem to be the right approach, but in the video he's using Filimc Blender which I behaves differently from ACES and I'm wondering in this case if this same approach (ICC display) works properly when converting and editing in ACES.
  • With the 32-bit Preview OCIO Display Transform set to sRGB (view transform) and ACES (device transform) it looks darker and more green. (my screen is calibrated to sRGB), though the exposure adjustment behaves completely differently for OCIO / ACES and is much smoother as I would expect than when the DT is set to ICC.
    • I'm assuming that the green tint is due to the fact that I hadn't added an OCIO adjustment layer. When I add an OCIO Adjustment as Source: lin_srgb, Destination: acescg the tone balances out, but the overall image is darker. I'm assuming that this is the look of the ACES transform on a linear sRGB image, but I'm not certain I'm setting this up correctly.

For the OCIO Adjustment layers what would be the correct setup?
  • From what I understand I need one OCIO layer to specify the input source type and destination type which I set as lin_srgb and acescg respectively.
  • Then for the output I would create another OCIO layer and set it to the reverse?.. Source: acescg, Destination: lin_srgb?
  • How would I export to AdobeRGB or another space like ROMM in this scenario?

Scenario 2: Opening a linear EXR ACEScg render for editing and then exporting either an sRGB for screen or an AdobeRGB image for print

• I'm just future proofing here and bloating this post, but assuming that Octane updates this year with an ACEScg render option would I just append an 'acescg' siffix (my_render-acescg.exr) to the file and open it in Photo?
  • Do I need to add an import transform OCIO layer to specify that it's ACEScg or do I just create an out transform layer?

Finally 2 last questions:
  • I'm assuming that all of my image adjustment edits will be done between the input transform OCIO layer and the output OCIO layer, please correct me if I'm wrong..
  • If I open a multi-layer EXR with multiple render passes, do I need to create an OCIO Adjustment layer for each pass layer or will one at the top be enough?

Thanks for bearing with the 1000 questions here and I greatly appreciate any insight I can get on setting this all up correctly!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in mine. James came to the rescue and showed me the gamma trick with the Live Procedural Texture tool https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/102122-aces-exr-challenge/&tab=comments#comment-549916, which worked out well enough for my needs. The other side of the equation is getting the rendering engines to fully support this.. It's early days, but it's getting there.

Best / Travis

• 3 months later...

Hello Travis, Now Octane has the Aces color space ! i'm curious just like you about a proper ACES EXR multipass 32 bits linear workflow into affinity ... if you have some good advices i'd be interested ! thank you

@Travis: I'm looking into a workflow where I can grade images for printing in Resolve since i like its tools much more for color processing. Where did you find the ACES.ocio? I can't seem to find it on their website. 

• 1 year later...