You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font issue with PDFs

Hello:

I created a one page document with the Gill Sans font (Regular and Bold). When I exported the document as a pdf, there were several text sections that appeared incorrectly (CEO name in the middle and Office Director and Office Coordinator to the right). When I changed the font to Helvetica in those areas, and re-exported them, the fonts appeared correctly.

When I exported the original document as a jpg, it appeared correctly.

#1 Helvetica Version

#2 Gill Sans Version

#3 Gill Sans Version saved as jpg

Thanks,

Peter

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 5.52.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 5.52.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 5.55.01 PM.png

Hello Gabe:

I just upgraded my computer to the new MacBook Pro (using a complete backup of the old one) and it worked fine. I went back to my old MacBook Pro and it still didn't work. So, I'm guessing it wasn't a problem with Publisher, but with something specific to my old computer. Sorry about that!

Sincerely,

Peter

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

Clear your font cache.

The Mac I was unable to create a pdf on correctly is a MacBook Pro. I tried restarting in safe mode and then restarting again which is supposed to clear the font cache. I still had the same problem after doing so.

6 minutes ago, sportyguy209 said:

The Mac I was unable to create a pdf on correctly is a MacBook Pro. I tried restarting in safe mode and then restarting again which is supposed to clear the font cache. I still had the same problem after doing so.

I don't think that will clear the font cache.
Another user ran this command (which worked):

sudo atsutil database -remove

See a full discussion here:
How to clear font corruption in OS X with these Terminal commands
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-clear-font-corruption-in-os-x-with-these-terminal-commands/

It could also be an issue with the fonts.
PDFs use the PostScript Name inside the fonts to identify the font.
Sometimes these names are messed up in downloaded fonts.
This is why screen and print may work (use different font name fields), and PDF export may not.
If clearing the cache does not work, you can send me the fonts via PM and I can check them for you.

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

I don't think that will clear the font cache.
Another user ran this command (which worked):

sudo atsutil database -remove

See a full discussion here:
How to clear font corruption in OS X with these Terminal commands
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-clear-font-corruption-in-os-x-with-these-terminal-commands/

It could also be an issue with the fonts.
PDFs use the PostScript Name inside the fonts to identify the font.
Sometimes these names are messed up in downloaded fonts.
This is why screen and print may work (use different font name fields), and PDF export may not.
If clearing the cache does not work, you can send me the fonts via PM and I can check them for you.

I just tried that. No change. But, it really doesn't matter since it works correctly on the new computer. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject!