You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.502] Text Frame column rules.

The Rules' gap (offsets) will change if you change the height of the frame, increase with and increase and vice versa. Also if you have the checkbox for Scale with object ticked then an increase in Height will noticeably thicken the line. Changing the only width of the Text Frame will only thicken the line, the offset will remain as originally input.
I cannot change it back after changing the width or height using the Frame Text. More weirdness if you change the number of columns, the rules are no longer centred in the gaps.

377665370_ScreenShot2019-11-13at2_25_32PM.png.83100d9ac81946d5d8e56b43cb8c2b2f.png

1807235574_ScreenShot2019-11-13at2_25_55PM.png.eb7a35c2d9df1f84a65e13292aee439e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I'd expect 'Scale with object' to alter the weight if I use the scale contents handle (sorry can't remember the proper name, the one that sits outside the object bottom right) - but not if I  just used the side or bottom handle - just like the text within isn't scaled if I use those handles. Also, when the column rules are scaled up, the width readout doesn't update to match in the studio panel. One other thing, the tooltip on the column rule width shows 'Frame Stroke'.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

7 hours ago, iaing said:

I'd expect 'Scale with object' to alter the weight if I use the scale contents handle

Scale with object is not unique to text frames, but that "extra" handle is.  Scale with object impacts the stroke across all types of objects, so it wouldn't make any sense for it to be dependent on an extra handle for behavior when that handle only exists on one object type.

7 hours ago, fde101 said:

Scale with object is not unique to text frames, but that "extra" handle is.  Scale with object impacts the stroke across all types of objects, so it wouldn't make any sense for it to be dependent on an extra handle for behavior when that handle only exists on one object type.

The extra handle also appears on a picture frame (when you've manually moved it's content). But you're right the behaviour is consistent. Hadn't realised before that the stroke on the text frame itself behaves that way too.

The point is if I lengthen my text frame to allow for more text, why would I want the column rules or frame stroke to increase in width? But if I scale up the whole frame, increasing the text size in the process, then yes I would expect the strokes to 'scale with the object' - I guess I just need to remember to disable scale with object :)

The stroke width for the text frame does correctly update when scaled though, so column stroke needs to do the same.

Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 07.47.05.png

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

7 hours ago, fde101 said:

The "extra" handle is also on Tables 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.