You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.7.3.481 - PC Desktop - Win 7

Problems

– The brushes I had imported in the previous version do not appear in the panel. A new import is a "success ..." but still nothing.

– When I want to "Place" an image, in the window that opens, the file selector always returns to "Txt".

– In the preferences, the keyboard shortcuts that I record disappear after a few days. Same behavior for "Attach to Canvas".

– The layer FX seem to not work clearly, (too long to say here) whereas in the previous version everything was fine.

Nonetheless a great sofware ! Thanks:)

If you import raster brushes into Affinity Designer, they will appear in the Brushes panel in the Pixel Persona.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I’ve had the same problem in various versions, when placing images, where the file type has mysteriously changed so it can only see text files. Switching it over manually works but that’s not a great solution. I can’t remember ever placing text files in Designer, which might have been a reason (e.g. use the last file type), so I don’t know why it switches.
It seems to be an intermittent issue – no pattern that I can see – so I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing wrong every now and again or something else.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I’ve had the same problem in various versions, when placing images, where the file type has mysteriously changed so it can only see text files. Switching it over manually works but that’s not a great solution. I can’t remember ever placing text files in Designer, which might have been a reason (e.g. use the last file type), so I don’t know why it switches.
It seems to be an intermittent issue – no pattern that I can see – so I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing wrong every now and again or something else.

If you have a Text Frame or Artistic Text layer selected, File > Place will assume you want to place a text (.txt, .rtf) file. This is true for all the Affinity applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, VectorMax said:
Thanks R C-R, I did not notice that under the previous version, and your answer delights me!

I am glad you are delighted. :)

The Designer 'success' popup actually tells you which kind of brushes were imported, but you may not be as delighted with how easy it is to overlook that:

280331366_vectorimport.jpg.1ca40d22cd409d8603259e60f8b04de3.jpg  1890185397_rasterimport.jpg.3aef3c893c2d3be9a3f564f373ddca09.jpg

I missed that the first few times I imported raster brushes into AD, so when I eventually switched to its Pixel Persona & clicked on the Brush category popup, I realized I had imported the same brush set four times, three of which had numeric suffixes added to their names.

I suspect I am far from the only user to have done that, so I think it would be better if the 'success' popup made that more obvious, both in the text (like "Brushes Imported Successfully into Designer Persona" & "Brushes Imported Successfully into Pixel Persona") & by using the Pixel Persona's icon for raster brush imports instead of the Designer one, something like this:

1902698693_rasterimportmod.jpg.e1d18ce03de0d3f8d82d1ac26aa2ce6f.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Sure R C-R...

AFF Designer is an excellent software certainly, promising of course, but that seems
burn the steps (like the user's comfort). The documentation is very well translated (I live in France)
but it is difficult to understand it. I have years of illustrator reflexes to question!