You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

type 1 fonts with export pdf embed not printing

Lane

Hi all,

I've hit an issue at the worst time (always, right!) with exporting PDFs for print.

In short, text that uses Type 1 fonts are not printing from a PDF made with Publisher export to PDF. They display correctly on screen. It's only when I print that PDF the font issue shows. I export to PDF for print (doubled checked embed fonts is selected), open that PDF with Preview, see it display correctly on screen, and print to my Canon MF4880dw. When it prints, I see boxes instead of characters. I am able to reproduce it easily by creating a brand new document. The examples I've attached were created using Publisher 1.7.3 on Mac OS El Capitan.

The original file prints from Affinity Publisher with the type 1 font correctly.

The PDF created from Export to PDF displays correctly in Preview but prints with boxes substituting the type 1 font characters.

A PDF created using the Print dialog and choosing Apple's save to PDF displays correctly in Preview and prints correctly using the type 1 font.

Further, for the PDF that won't print correctly, I can export from Preview to a PNG and that PNG is rendered properly. It's only in the printing that the type 1 font does not send to the printer properly.

I've also done the same procedure on Mac OS Mojave, but in that case the file won't print at all. It sends to the printer, but hangs on "Printing" in the printer queue. Eventually the printer times out. The original file from publisher prints fine there, as does the PDF made with Apple's save to print option in the publisher print dialog.

I hope that's clear! If anyone wishes to confirm the export from publisher won't print correctly on their system, I'd welcome that feedback. Note that it may hang up your printer for a while, so don't test if you have a deadline. :) I am curious if it could be a quirk of the Canon printer I'm using. I would doubt that, but hey, who knows?

font testing univers.afpub

font testing univers apple print to pdf.pdf

font testing univers export from publisher.pdf

Adobe Reader is free. I would recommend using it. At least for checking print pdfs before sending them off. If for no other reason than it is a color-managed pdf viewer and displays transparency accurately (which Preview sucks at).

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a work around. I can use the Apple save to pdf option. I can't really control what a client uses to view it. But I will check what reader does on as many platforms as I can, since that's good to know too. My primary intent here in the forum is to report this as a bug that should still be fixed. Thanks again.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:00 PM, Lane said:

I have a work around. I can use the Apple save to pdf option.

Note that the limitation is that this option does not produce a PDF which is compliant to professional printing standards, so it may be rejected by some professional print houses.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:40 PM, Lane said:

what you mean by compliant to professional printing standards.

You have no choice to specify the PDF version and properties when exporting with the macOS print-to-pdf option. For instance you can't export compliant to PDF/X that way nor use settings of Affinities export "More" options.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi Lane,

I've tested, as in printed all three of your files and have created my own PDF from your source file using Type 1 Univers and can confirm they all print as expected. The PDF created from Export to PDF prints as expected from Apple Preview for me so I don't believe there is a bug with regards the Publisher generated PDF, though it does seem odd that the only issue you are experiencing is printing from Apple Preview.

It may be worth removing and re-adding your Canon MF4880dw from the System Preferences to see if that resolves the issue.

Apple  Preview does allow you to create a generic PDFX-3 file, though of course, it depends on which supported PDF features you require in your document.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Thanks for testing that Hangman. Very much appreciated. I've deleted and re-added the canon printer probably like 3 times in my various tests. I thought maybe it was a damaged font but I've tested around a dozen different ones. If you can't reproduce it with the actual files I've uploaded here, then I agree it's less likely a Publisher bug. I suspect at this point it's a quirk of this printer and/or it's driver, since I've duplicated this issue on two different computers here, with the printer it's driver the only thing in common. I think I should find an older printer from my dust bin test on that. Again, thanks much.

I think printing to a different printer if you have one you can blow the dust off would certainly help to narrow down the problem. I'm inclined to agree in that I suspect this will turn out to be a printer driver issue in some shape or form. Let us know how you get on.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse