You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

new documents in tiny windows

Im having a problem with tiny document windows on mac. 

All my new documents being created (in any affinity app) are initially displayed in a window circa 1000 by 700 pixels on screen, although I have an iMac 21.5 (1920x1080) and my main screen is an Apple Thunderbolt 27" Display (2500something)

I can't remember since when I had this, but maybe forever? I never bothered to mention it, as I was testing betas, but now, as I am beginning to dip my toes deeper into affinity-life these first-world-problems come up again...

It happens only in Separated Mode, which I'm using 99% of the time. Maybe it has something to do with my migration from a MacbookPro. I really want to avoid resetting my apps to factory-defaults, as there is no easy way to restore the previous settings if that does not help... <feature-request plug: please add saveable and loadable settings and panel positions>

Can somebody help me, ideally from the affinity-team with inside knowledge or somebody who has successfully fixed a similar problem?  

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• Staff

Hi woefi :)

AFAIK this is intended behaviour, when opening a document in separated mode the window the document appears is in a standard size, regardless of the document you're opening and you'll need to manually reconfigure the size of the window to suit.

I'll move this thread to our Feedback section of the forums for our devs to see and consider implementing these options mentioned in the future!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

New document window should open at maximum size, preferably reaching under floating panels to screen edge.

Well, I wouldn't dare to say how the ONE correct behaviour should be. In some cases full-full screen could also be quite annoying (I remember corelDRAW in windows3.11 where multiple documents opened in a way slightly shifted so you could see all headers at once... O.o this was of course before tabs became a thing...)

In this case, my expected behaviour was to open it in at least, say, 90% or 95% screen space, so you can see the other documents, which were open. And this is one reason why I use Separated Mode to begin with. (Other than having all my panels on the right places...)

I for myself would would go on to propose a preference(tm) ;)  -> some people work mostly with single docs, some have 20 open at once, and copy from one to the other... Other programs used to save the positions with the documents, but I don't know, if the unified Affinity-Doc-Format was built with that in mind...

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

• 6 months later...
On 11/13/2019 at 6:25 PM, Dan C said:

for our devs to see and consider implementing these options mentioned in the future!

@Dan C Any update or feedback on this yet?

one example, A photo with 5000 by 4500 pixels opens like this in AffPhoto:

(in Photoshop, there used to be a setting whether the doc-window should grow when zooming in, if you held a key... this was convenient)

183286882_Bildschirmfoto2020-05-14um13_22_54.thumb.png.c2c2d5ac5d1da8cb92ad6f377e262a5b.png

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response, unfortunately there hasn't yet been any update on the development improvement suggestion, but I'll bump this thread again now :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!