You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.8.0.502

29 minutes ago, subetha said:

BTW will there a possibility to also EXPORT into IDML format to exchange files with Indesign users, or will my designs be locked inside the affinity ecosystem forever?

At this point the only interchange format from Affinity Publisher to anything else is PDF, unfortunately.

I hope that Publisher doesn't provide an IDML export function, though. It would be more appropriate to produce its own XML format (APML? AFML?), tailored to the functions available in Publisher, rather than restricted to functions available in InDesign.

At that point, someone could create an APML -> IDML converter if interchange with InDesign users (or other applications that understand IDML) is needed. Or the other applications could develop support for APML files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

At this point the only interchange format from Affinity Publisher to anything else is PDF, unfortunately.

I hope that Publisher doesn't provide an IDML export function, though. It would be more appropriate to produce its own XML format (APML? AFML?), tailored to the functions available in Publisher, rather than restricted to functions available in InDesign.

At that point, someone could create an APML -> IDML converter if interchange with InDesign users (or other applications that understand IDML) is needed. Or the other applications could develop support for APML files.

Seeing how the features in APub are lesser than those in, well, about anything else--and the 3 (4 if Scribus is included) most used applications for layout understand IDML--I don't understand why Serif would reinvent the wheel as regards an interchange format. As well, every translation software reads/writes IDML too.

With IDML import now available, once new versions are added, IDML would also provide a reasonable path from the 2, 3, etc APub versions back to preceding versions.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I hope that Publisher doesn't provide an IDML export function, though.

I disagree strongly with this sentiment.

I think that the IDML round trip is of utmost importance for Publisher. People who would want to try it out but are not sure whether it's capable enough can export IDML file and continue working in inDesign. Without this capability a lot of people in the industry might not even want to try it out.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4