You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Raw images slightly cropped when opened

Hi,

if I open a raw file in Affinity Photo it is always slightly cropped. Why is that?

Sometimes tihis is a real problem for me when important details are at the edge of the photo. If I open the same photo with Photoshop this does not happen.

Or is there an adjustment which could be made?

In the Develop Assistant

Set Lens corrections: to Take no action

You may need to reopen the Raw file if already opened

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, Tonkar said:

It's a bit strangee that the cropping seems to be the default setting ...

It's not  exactly cropping, though it may appear that way and is in some ways similar.

First, just to make sure you know, Affinity Photo will usually (at least with the Serif Labs RAW engine) retain more pixels than most other programs (more than the advertised number of pixels for the camera). That confuses some users.

Next, for your case, Photo knows about the usual image distortion caused by your lens, and it is adjusting the image to remove that distortion so you don't have to do it manually. But image adjustments like that, just as when you straighten an image while cropping, can leave unusable areas around the edges. So those need to be removed. That involves something that is kind of cropping, but it's really removing damaged areas after the lens distortion is corrected.

Most of us don't want distorted pictures, so the default setting is to remove the lens distortion when the lens and its characteristics are known.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Most of us don't want distorted pictures, so the default setting is to remove the lens distortion when the lens and its characteristics are known. 

there was no distortion visible and I prefer to actively decide witch action I want to take. Not all default settings make sense in my eyes :)

But I'm glad that people could help me so quickly in this forum!

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, ger_marsh said:

Any way of disabling the default lens correction?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

There's no way to disable it that I know of.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/14/2019 at 12:26 PM, Tonkar said:

there was no distortion visible and I prefer to actively decide witch action I want to take. Not all default settings make sense in my eyes :)

Exactly - and RAW conversion is all about that freedom.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.