You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Add "revert" to file menu command for all Affinity apps

8 hours ago, big smile said:

discard all changes since the last save.

file menu option is super handy!

Menu File, Open Recent, click on first/top file in list? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Menu File, Open Recent, click on first/top file in list? 

That doesn't do a Revert, though. In fact it's totally ignored unless you first Close the working document, and respond No to the prompt to Save. Only after that can you Open it again via Open Recent.

A Revert function avoids all that, though it might possibly give an "Are you sure?" prompt.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/14/2019 at 3:35 AM, walt.farrell said:

A Revert function avoids all that

I personally do not use Revert at all. Given the habit of continuous save (to avoid losing work in progress), it would not make any significant contribution anyway.

By the way, what does the function Edit \ Defaults \ Revert do? You can set a hotkey on it.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

I personally do not use Revert at all. Given the habit of continuous save (to avoid losing work in progress), it would not make any significant contribution anyway.

Very often, I'll save my work, experiment with something and decide that I don’t want it, so I can quickly hit revert to go back to the last version I was happy with (when I last saved). So it's a very useful tool, especially when doing several experiments in one-go. Yeah, you can hit undo multiple times, but then you don’t want to do undo the things you are happy with and it's easier just to hit revert and go back to the last save. 

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

By the way, what does the function Edit \ Defaults \ Revert do? You can set a hotkey on it.

I think that's for default settings to revert them back to the previous version. 

Just a question - in what way or in what browser do you create your posts, especially "Quote selection"?
First, it is obvious that your link is "different" (compared to my previous link has some space at the beginning), you can not select the text cursor (I need it for the translator), and even can not put Quote on your message - the choice is inactive.

Maybe Serif (@Patrick Connor) could look at it, because it makes problems on the forum. I use Chrome on Windows 10.

I know it's weird when I ever click on quotes, it goes all funny and I can't even edit the post. 

I just click the Quote button so I am not sure why it goes all funny. I used loads of other forums (including those powered by  Invision Community) and never have this problem.

I use Chrome Version 78.0.3904.97 on Mac OS 10.14.6.

• Staff

this has happened before to a number of posts in the past by other users. It's like a quote within a quote. I know how to mend it, as the disabled edit button is bad, but it messes other moderator functions up too. I will fix this post.

@big smile

if you ever need to edit a posts like this hover over the share/link button top right and you will see in this case yours has an ID of 547790

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101919-feature-request-add-revert-to-file-menu-command-for-all-affinity-apps/&do=findComment&comment=547790

then find a post of yours with an enabled edit button and copy it's link and replace the number at the end with the ID of the problematic post thus

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101919-feature-request-add-revert-to-file-menu-command-for-all-affinity-apps/&do=editComment&comment=547790

that is the equivalent of the (disabled) edit button on your post.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

I have mended that post, and looking at the source the problem is caused by using Grammarly, so don't know what you can do about that.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
5 minutes ago, big smile said:

Oh, I didn’t realize that it was Grammarly! I'll take clear to disable Grammarly before quoting as I know it's not very pleasant for users when the quotes go all funny. 

I take it that it should be okay to use Grammarly when not quoting?

Seems fine to me I have never seen the problem other that when quote is used.

Perhaps it is the actual use of Grammarly on your own typed text while you have used a quote. Try using quote with Grammarly enabled but not using Grammarly to correct anything you add to the post

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

22 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Back to the OT, consider using the History panel instead.

That's only effective if you know where in the history the last notable save was. If you're like me and always (manually for every file, feh) have "save with history" turned on, then you're back to the close-without-saving option only.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

As another workflow possibility, one can use the Snapshot studio panel. At appropriate save points, add a Snapshot (switch to Snapshot panel, click the Add Snapshot icon). Restoring to that snapshot is simply a matter of switching back to the Snapshot panel again, selecting the snapshot, and clicking the Restore Snapshot icon.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Or use some Revision Control System as we do commonly in Software dev, where you can more precisely annotate what/why/when and who has changed something on the last code (ähm in this case image) base. ;)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

44 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Or use some Revision Control System as we do commonly in Software dev, where you can more precisely annotate what/why/when and who has changed something on the last code (ähm in this case image) base. ;)

I've not yet tried playing with saving Affinity files into a Git-controlled directory :)

-- Walt
PC:

55 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I've not yet tried playing with saving Affinity files into a Git-controlled directory :)

It's often useful and a necessity, especially for longer time bigger team project based work, where people do a lot of code and docu changes/updates over a projects life time.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

It's often useful and a necessity, especially for longer time bigger team project based work, where people do a lot of code and docu changes/updates over a projects life time.

Getting even further off-topic, revision control is notoriously awful with binary files. Bloats the repository since there's not often a meaningful diff between one binary and another that can be applied. You wind up storing the entire file each time. Good when you genuinely need documented reproducibility at a point in time, terrible for most other workflows.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

14 minutes ago, Brad Brighton said:

Getting even further off-topic, revision control is notoriously awful with binary files. Bloats the repository since there's not often a meaningful diff between one binary and another that can be applied. You wind up storing the entire file each time. Good when you genuinely need documented reproducibility at a point in time, terrible for most other workflows.

Every RCS uses date/time/user stamps and offers annotation support, no matter if you file in text or binary files. Diffing capabilities depend on the used RCS, some like Subversion are quite good suited for binaries too here:

How does Subversion handle binary files?

When you first add or import a file into Subversion, the file is examined to determine if it is a binary file. Currently, Subversion just looks at the first 1024 bytes of the file; if any of the bytes are zero, or if more than 15% are not ASCII printing characters, then Subversion calls the file binary.

If Subversion determines that the file is binary, the file receives an svn:mime-type property set to "application/octet-stream". (You can always override this by using the auto-props feature or by setting the property manually with svn propset.)

Subversion 1.7 and later can optionally be compiled with support for libmagic to detect MIME types of binary files which are added to version control. This feature is used only for binary files for which no MIME type is found via auto-props or the mime-types-file configuration option. If libmagic identifies a file as a text file, Subversion will treat the file as a text file by default.

Subversion treats the following files as text:

• Files with no svn:mime-type
  • Files with a svn:mime-type starting "text/"
  • Files with a svn:mime-type equal to "image/x-xbitmap"
  • Files with a svn:mime-type equal to "image/x-xpixmap"

All other files are treated as binary, meaning that Subversion will:

• Not attempt to automatically merge received changes with local changes during svn update or svn merge
  • Not show the differences as part of svn diff
  • Not show line-by-line attribution for svn blame

In all other respects, Subversion treats binary files the same as text files, e.g. if you set the svn:keywords or svn:eol-style properties, Subversion will perform keyword substitution or newline conversion on binary files.

Note that whether or not a file is binary does not affect the amount of repository space used to store changes to that file, nor does it affect the amount of traffic between client and server. For storage and transmission purposes, Subversion uses a diffing method that works equally well on binary and text files; this is completely unrelated to the diffing method used by the 'svn diff' command.