You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assorted Export Folder problems

CC Hogan

I am having various issues when using export or export persona, especially with OneDrive, but other clouds as well.

On Export Persona, it won't let me choose anything except iCloud. This is the case if I choose the export folder on the slices menu too.

On Export (doc menu), it won't always let me choose sub-folders.  I haven't tested this with all clouds, but I definitely get it with OneDrive and pCloud.  But I think it is inconsistent. I have also had this with Save Copy.

Also (and this is probably me being thick) how do I customise my output on the export persona like I would on the desktop?  

Sorry if these have been posted before (which I am sure they have).  I searched for Sub-Folder and kind of got lost...

On a fun little learning curve with Affinity. Or a vector curve. One of the two. Just a writer learning to draw.

• Staff

Hi CC Hogan,

The issue with not being able to choose other cloud drives is a known issue and with development to be looked into. In the meantime you'll have to use either iCloud or 'On this iPad' and then move to your preferred cloud storage.

Regarding not being able to select sub-folders, are you able to get a screen recording demonstrating this issue please?

Lastly, the export persona on the iPad doesn't yet allow for all the options that are available on the desktop version. Currently you can only select the name, the format and which sizes you want to export.

• Staff
21 hours ago, CC Hogan said:

Hi, Sean. Here you go. This is trying to export. As you can see, it won’t let me save in the Dark Forest folder

FullSizeRender.mov

The Podcasts folder looks to be a shared folder. Are you the owner of that or is it being shared to you? I presume it isn't Read Only? Does it work with non-shared folders (the ones without the people icons)?

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

The Podcasts folder looks to be a shared folder. Are you the owner of that or is it being shared to you? I presume it isn't Read Only? Does it work with non-shared folders (the ones without the people icons)?

Yes, it is a shared folder (I am not the owner).

So, I can save into that folder, but I cannot save into the subfolders.

A series of tests:

Checking, I have "Can Edit" access to both Podcasts and the Subfolders.

Saving from Export on a different folder that is shared with me from the same account (actually, both me, but that is irrelevant!), I can save in the parent folder AND the subfolders, several layers down.

So, my feeling at this point is that it is a OneDrive issue somewhere.

So, I tried with the Pages app on my iPad.  I exported a PDF.  There was no problem in saving to the Dark Forest Art Folder.

Probably NOT a OneDrive issue then.

Now - next test.

Go to Export, but this time click on Share and Save to Files.

That works!

So, for some reason, Exporting goes wrong, but sharing (which I assume uses the internal Apple module) works fine.

But this is not consistent, and I cannot work out what is different between folders here.

It gets more complicated! (Sorry)

It wont let me save in the subfolder "Grimm"

However, Grimm has a subfolder of its own. And it WILL let me save into that! Huh?

Now, just one more bit of info.  Dark Forest Art folder was created by me on my iPad. Whereas Grimm and the Useful Bits folders were created by the sharing account.  But all have the same issue, so this is probably NOT the problem.  I just throw this in to eliminate it.

I am not sure any of that helps really, other than I think it means it is definitely something to do with the way the Export script works with the file system. But why it is so inconsistent, or appears to be so, I have no idea.

On a fun little learning curve with Affinity. Or a vector curve. One of the two. Just a writer learning to draw.

• Staff

Thanks for that! I've just been trying similar shared folders set to Can View, and then inside that another folder set to Can Edit. However Apple's files app itself wasn't behaving how it should. for me!

For example Files would only report it has Read Only access despite the OneDrive app saying I could Edit it. Then trying to move or delete a file inside the folder was not allowed, yet I can duplicate a file inside! Duplicating an image would then create 2 copies as well!

I have a feeling the Files integration with a lot of cloud drive applications and photos just isn't great! iPadOS 13 has really made a mess of things with Files I feel.

1 minute ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for that! I've just been trying similar shared folders set to Can View, and then inside that another folder set to Can Edit. However Apple's files app itself wasn't behaving how it should. for me!

For example Files would only report it has Read Only access despite the OneDrive app saying I could Edit it. Then trying to move or delete a file inside the folder was not allowed, yet I can duplicate a file inside! Duplicating an image would then create 2 copies as well!

I have a feeling the Files integration with a lot of cloud drive applications and photos just isn't great! iPadOS 13 has really made a mess of things with Files I feel.

Ah!

Interesting about the 2 copies.  I was moving a group of images the other day in the files app which kind of didn't work.  But then it did.  When I opened the folder, I had three copies of each image. I thought it had been me, but couldn't quite work out how. Also, the original image was still where it had started - it seemed to have copied rather than moved.  Nuts.

How do I see the Read Only status (or not) in the Files app? I can see anything in the Info popup. 

• Staff
4 minutes ago, CC Hogan said:

Ah!

Interesting about the 2 copies.  I was moving a group of images the other day in the files app which kind of didn't work.  But then it did.  When I opened the folder, I had three copies of each image. I thought it had been me, but couldn't quite work out how. Also, the original image was still where it had started - it seemed to have copied rather than moved.  Nuts.

How do I see the Read Only status (or not) in the Files app? I can see anything in the Info popup. 

It's very strange!!!  The Read Only status shows at the bottom of a folder where it reports how many items are inside of it.

Anyway, at least there is a workaround by Sharing from the export screen.

With Save a Copy, I will have to save somewhere else and move it if I have problems.

At some point, it would be nice to have a dedicated Project Management App that works across all Affinity products and all devices. So, for instance, I could create a "Project" on OneDrive or pCloud or iCloud from the desktop, then anything created within that project from whatever device, is automatically saved to that location.  And exports and so on use the project location as default.  This could also apply to Asset folders and things.  

Also, that would neaten up opening in different apps.  From the project management app, one could open in Photo or Designer or Publisher as required without having to move the projects around.

Thanks for your help, Sean.  iOS and various third party apps are a bit of a mess at the moment.