You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shortcut for Override-Text-Leading randomly stops working for some text

I have noticed that the text leading override shortcut (alt+up/down arrow) stops working for some text blocks but works for new text blocks in the same Affiniy Deisgn file.
If it happens to any text block, I need to go and do in the character properties windows by entering the number manually or pressing the arrow key - but this really hampers the workflow and speed.

1993032747_leadingoverrideshortcutstopsworkingforsometext.thumb.png.f7731f09f89ac7a3a63455fd57c78270.png

It seems to be happening randomly to some text box and I have not been able to find the reason for it and not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it's just a bug. 
If I am doing something wrong - it would be great to know how to avoid it, if not, it would be great if this can be fixed soon.

This behavior continues even if the file is opened in Affinity Photos (haven't checked with Publisher yet).

I have attached an example .afdesign file for you to try it out. 

leading override shortcut isn't working for some text.afdesign

I am a Mac user. The leading shortcuts are the same as for Windows. They work for be in both text blocks in your file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi saikat :)

Thanks for your file - I can see that your left hand text box has Leading Override applied to it, which is forcing the Leading value to remain consistent, even when using the keyboard shortcuts. This is noticeable as the Leading value on the Context Toolbar does update when using the shortcut, however the text does not move.

If you open the Character Studio (View>Studio>Character) you will find that your Leading Override setting is currently set to 26.9pt. If you return this setting to Auto, then you should find the keyboard shortcut start working again!

image.png

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

They work for me in both text blocks in your file.

I've opened the file on Mac also and I'm seeing the same results as Windows, although the keyboard shortcut changes the value on the context toolbar the text itself does not move (as expected). Is this not the case for you R C-R?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

3 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I've opened the file on Mac also and I'm seeing the same results as Windows, although the keyboard shortcut changes the value on the context toolbar the text itself does not move (as expected). Is this not the case for you R C-R?

For me the text does not move but Paragraph Leading in the Paragraph studio panel & on the context toolbar when in text edit mode increases & decreases.

Even though the OP mentioned "override," since the shortcuts are for setting leading & not leading override, that is all I tested for.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you @Dan C  I somehow missed that detail for so long! 
If the value is within a bracket then (by selecting auto from the drop-down menu) I can use the keyboard shortcut. 
I think I was entering a number there and then trying to use the shortcut...

831632497_leadingoverrideshortcutstopsworkingforsometext2.png.e66a09f8d8a65d74ae36d115452e4cc2.png

Is there a way finetune the value (by entering a number there manually) and still use the keyboard shortcut - because with the shortcut I can't get very small increments?
Is there any way to get a small increment with a shortcut?

@R C-R Thank you for your help!

3 minutes ago, saikat said:

Is there a way finetune the value (by entering a number there manually) and still use the keyboard shortcut - because with the shortcut I can't get very small increments?
Is there any way to get a small increment with a shortcut?

I think you may be confusing Leading (set in the Paragraph panel or on the context toolbar when a text block is selected) with Leading Override (set in the Character panel). As the name suggests, Leading Override overrides paragraph leading.

Leading applies to either the current paragraph if you are in text edit mode (blinking text insertion cursor) or to the entire text block if it is selected (its bounding box is showing but there is no text cursor). Leading Override works the same way except that in text entry mode it applies to the current line of text, not the entire paragraph.

So you can set the override on a line by line basis or 'globally' to the entire text block. You can do that by entering any number you want in the Character panel leading override field, or by using the dropdown menu choices or the up/down buttons next to the field. But the two keyboard shortcuts set leading, not leading override, so you can't use them for that.

Affinity Photo