You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can an Affinity Designer file be transferred via a flash drive/external storage?

Really confused with backing up files beyond simply copy/pasting, and hoping someone can walk me through the easiest possible way to have a backup copy of an Affinity Designer file.

I don’t really want to download any apps or use cloud setups (even more confusing and concerned I might sync versions and accidentally overwrite a current version with an old; also prefer to have physical storage if possible).

I now know you can save a copy of a file/export a file elsewhere, but I find it confusing because there are a lot of file types and I normally just copy files and paste them to a flash drive plugged into my computer.

Some things I’m not sure about:

1. Is it possible to just copy/paste an Affinity Designer Ipad file to a flash drive/external drive plugged into the IPad Pro, and what is the main file type that is needed/supported so that the new IPad can simply open that backup file and continue working?

2. Is it possible to save an Affinity Designer file to the Cloud and then copy/paste the file from the Cloud to a flash drive/external storage plugged into my computer, and how do I make sure that I don’t accidentally delete the version on the IPad/overwrite that version by syncing with the Cloud?

3. I don’t have a Mac, but would ITunes be a possibility on a computer with windows. Not sure how ITunes even works or if the storage itself is actually online. Also not sure if an Affinity Designer file could actually be moved from IPad to Itunes and then to a new iPad if needed. If so, I could just store the copy on my computer with itunes.

If my Ipad crashes, I just want to be able to access the same file with a new IPad and continue working. That way, I don’t have to worry about losing any work.

@Affinity100 There are two methods for creating an affinity file that can then be copied elsewhere.

When a file is created in affinity it resides only in affinity’s sandbox memory area, and is only accessible via the affinity app. To gain wider access we need to 'Save' the file, this action creates a .afphoto or .afdesign file.

Methods of saving are:

1. From the project screen, under the file Icon, tap the hamburger menu and tap Save. This will save an .afphoto or .afdesign file to your 'default' storage location. This is the location that you selected in Affinity Settings. On My IPad or ICloud. In either case the file is stored in an Affinity folder.

2. In the Workspace, Use the Edit menu and select Save a Copy. This opens Files app and allows you to navigate to a folder of your choice, name and save your file.

It is useful to know that after saving a copy of your work (either method), if you close the sandbox copy and use Open from Cloud to navigate to, and open the previously saved file, you are now editing the .af file and you will now have a Save option under the Edit menu, where previously there was not one. Using Save option here, or returning to Project screen and using Hamburger menu Save option will update the .af file at its previously saved location. This is my preferred workflow.

You can use Files app or Documents by Readdle to access your .afphoto or .afdesign files and copy them 'anywhere' you like. Make as many backups as you need. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

22 hours ago, DM1 said:

@Affinity100 There are two methods for creating an affinity file that can then be copied elsewhere.

When a file is created in affinity it resides only in affinity’s sandbox memory area, and is only accessible via the affinity app. To gain wider access we need to 'Save' the file, this action creates a .afphoto or .afdesign file.

Methods of saving are:

1. From the project screen, under the file Icon, tap the hamburger menu and tap Save. This will save an .afphoto or .afdesign file to your 'default' storage location. This is the location that you selected in Affinity Settings. On My IPad or ICloud. In either case the file is stored in an Affinity folder.

2. In the Workspace, Use the Edit menu and select Save a Copy. This opens Files app and allows you to navigate to a folder of your choice, name and save your file.

It is useful to know that after saving a copy of your work (either method), if you close the sandbox copy and use Open from Cloud to navigate to, and open the previously saved file, you are now editing the .af file and you will now have a Save option under the Edit menu, where previously there was not one. Using Save option here, or returning to Project screen and using Hamburger menu Save option will update the .af file at its previously saved location. This is my preferred workflow.

You can use Files app or Documents by Readdle to access your .afphoto or .afdesign files and copy them 'anywhere' you like. Make as many backups as you need. :)

Thanks a lot for the response!  I successfully saved the file to my Ipad Pro.  Would I be able to use the following external storage with my Ipad Pro and copy/paste the file from On My IPad to this external storage?  It mentions Ipad Pro, so I think it would work, right?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-Flash-Drive-iPhone/dp/B01CIEBU22/ref=sr_1_2?crid=29Z0XSLRDSRDE&keywords=sandisk+32gb+ixpand+flash+drive+for+iphone+%26+ipad&qid=1573699732&sprefix=sandisk+32gb+ixpand+f%2Caps%2C625&sr=8-2

Actually, maybe I will just save the file to the ICloud, access the ICloud on my computer, and then just transfer the file to a flashdrive plugged into my computer.  Would that also work?

I have the iXpand drive (32gb) and it works well for me. USB3 transfer speeds on the Pro models is a bonus. Simply select file on iPad and tap Share, then tap on the iXpand logo and navigate to where you want to save. iCloud would also work. Documents can connect wirelessly to you Mac and transfer files that way too. Lots of options.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/