You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BSOD on Photo start-up - New purchase

Hi,

I've just bought Affinity Photo on the Microsoft store, installed fine but has not started up once correctly. The splash screen loads, then I get a BSOD - every time I've tried to run the application. It's reporting cldflt.sys as having failed.

I'm on a Microsoft Surface Pro (5th Gen)

Windows 10 Pro

Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362

I have designer and it starts and runs fine.

I tried running Microsofts DISM Tool and SFC tool as described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Both completed successfully, Photo still causes BSOD

Read it might be linked to OneDrive - Tried exiting OneDrive, still get BSOD

This is really dissapointing for a £50 new purchase.

• Staff

If you are not using OneDrive for your Cloud storage you can try uninstalling the OneDrive app and if you are still getting the BSOD with Affinity Photo right click the icon on the Start bar and then click More>App Settings and then from the new screen click the Repair option

Thanks @DWright and @HarriK - Unfortunately I rely on OneDrive for my daily workflow so cannot uninstall it. I read @HarriK's linked thread, dissapointing its almost a month with no proper response.

Nothing else has ever produced a BSOD on this device, it's clearly an interaction from Affinity Photo causing it and they can't keep saying that Photo cannot cause a BSOD - basic logic shows it is.

Think I'll push for a refund until this is resolved.

7 minutes ago, monsieurgaz said:

they can't keep saying that Photo cannot cause a BSOD

They can, they will and they are doubtless correct!  Sorry. There are a number of threads where Serif Staff have pointed out exactly why Affinity software cannot cause a BSOD.

If you do a forum search for "cldflt.sys" you will see that a number of users have reported the same issue, apparently caused by a change made by M$ in a recent Win 10 update (?1903).  I am pretty sure the Affinity Developers are as concerned by this problem as you are but i strongly suspect the "resolution" is actually in M$ hands, not Affinity.

Can you not use the solution proposed at the end of  @HarriK's post two above this one, at least for the time being?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

The latest Windows update KB4524570 changed the symptoms, now the blue screen comes when trying to save or open a file.

I have no means to tell who is to blame for the bug, Affinity or Microsoft. At least multiple users having the same setup and path are coming up: Surface, Store, cldflt.sys and OneDrive...

My solution is utterly stupid to use even for a temporarily solution. I am an entrepreneur using my Surface to earn my living. Currently the Affinity software is the only one causing BSOD. I have not experienced BSOD in years with my business laptops.

So far the best solution is to avoid using Affinity Designer and use other graphics tools instead. As I see it, the 50 eur purchase price has granted me right to complain about the matter. I don't even care to calculate what a single BSOD costs for me in terms of wasted working time.

Hi @emmrecs01, I appreciate your enthusiastic support of Serif but - Microsoft supply lower level mechanisms which clearly are able to be used in a way which causes a BSOD; this should be made more robust BUT it does not mean that the Affinity Photo SW isn't misusing or attempting unrecommended or unsupported methods of using these resources. What is evident is that Affinity Photo is absolutely the only program causing this behaviour which suggests to me that no other program (including Affinity Designer is using the lower level services like Affininity photo is.

As @HarriK has said, his workaround is not viable for a professional workflow, particularly if it could have unexpected effects on OneDrive behaviour which we rely on.

Is this forum really the only means for support?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, monsieurgaz said:

What is evident is that Affinity Photo is absolutely the only program causing this behaviour which suggests to me that no other program (including Affinity Designer is using the lower level services like Affininity photo is.

Users of other (not Serif) software are also reporting this issue. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

26 minutes ago, monsieurgaz said:

Affinity Photo is absolutely the only program causing this behaviour

Maybe on your computer. Just type "cldflt.sys BSOD" into Google.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @walt.farrell, @Pšenda, you're correct, this is my experience on my laptop with my applications.

I use a wide range of applications from Open Source to commercial and the Serif products are the only ones triggering this behaviour. The difference here is also that AP as a single applciation has a relatively high one-off cost and regardless of where the exact blame lies, Serif should be driving to either make there products robust in not triggering the BSOD's (why are they interacting with a Cloud optimiser?) or driving Microsoft to patch their code if it is truly at fault.

I've seen no evidence of this unfortunately.

I'll ask again - Is this forum and the format of this post the recommended channel for official support or do I need to repost?

I've had to process a refund and am forced to use Adobe products at present instead but may return if this issue is resolved and I can see evidence of good official product support.

1 hour ago, monsieurgaz said:

I'll ask again - Is this forum and the format of this post the recommended channel for official support or do I need to repost?

I've had to process a refund and am forced to use Adobe products at present instead but may return if this issue is resolved and I can see evidence of good official product support.

Yes, this forum is one of the official places for support. And your initial post in this topic was responded to by a Serif moderator.

You might try purchasing directly from Serif rather than from the MS Store, as some users are reporting issues with the MS Store app but not with directly purchased versions, if I remember correctly. Serif offers a 14-day money-back guarantee, so if it doesn't work you'll be able to easily get a refund from them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif offers a 14-day money-back guarantee, so if it doesn't work you'll be able to easily get a refund from them.

I think he already did.

1 hour ago, monsieurgaz said:

I've had to process a refund

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I think he already did.

First post says he bought from the MS Store, and got a refund (as I read it).

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

If you wish to reconsider this purchase, then please read the (rewritten) FAQ which says that Microsoft have now fixed this bug in December's Windows Patch

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Upon installing Windows update KB4524570, Affinity Photo crashed when I saved a photo file to .afphoto. The program just closed. Upon uninstalling the update, it worked fine again. Same issue with Windows update KB4517389 with an exception of the BSOD that came on. What are the causes and is there any permanent fix? I am on Windows version 1903. 

• Staff

Microsoft released a Windows 10 update on 10/12/19 (KB4530684) which includes the fix. Please download and install this update and try opening the Affinity app again to see if your issue is resolved.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon