You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I saw the AF tutorial but the method is not working. I click on the area I want cloned with Option alt on my Mac and I cannot copy it to the area where I want it. Any assistance appreciated. Also the Affinity book I paid for is essentially useless to me, page numbers are not even visible on each page if there is an image, and it certainly does not even provide an answer to what I would consider a very basic question Thanks, Stuart

Just use an ALT-click to set the source to copy from. Further make sure the layer is also selected/highlighted in the layers panel.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

31 minutes ago, SF Charter Boat said:

Should I have a new separate layer for the clone? The original, Background, layer I highlighted and the clone tool worked, is that ok?

That's certainly OK.

However, there's another way. You can create a new pixel layer above your original layer, and then set the Source option on the Clone Tool's Context Toolbar to "Current layer and below". Then, when you clone, you're painting on that new layer and you have a non-destructive operation. If you later decide you don't like what you've done, you can just delete that layer, or hide it. You can also turn the layer on or off (hide or unhide) and get a before/after view of your cloning operation to make sure it's what you want.

1 hour ago, SF Charter Boat said:

Also the Affinity book I paid for is essentially useless to me, page numbers are not even visible on each page if there is an image, and it certainly does not even provide an answer to what I would consider a very basic question 

I can't really comment on the page numbering, but for me there are enough numbers to allow easy navigation. As for not answering a basic question: the workbooks are not manuals. They are primarily a set of projects that you can work through to educate yourself on the techniques that those projects describe. They are not designed to provide answers to questions. For that, the built-in Help is probably better. Or the Serif video tutorials, for example this one about the Clone Brush Tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Will make a new layer for this operation, thank you for the additional information

Got it re the book, am still at the beginning stage, so not doing the exercises. When you write "built in Help is probably better", are you referring to the very top right with the word "Help'? Thanks for the explanations and assistance!

The software's help system, which is also available online here.

Related to the book, since it's first of all a workbook, it's not that ideal as a general quick reference book. There are other third party books which are better suited for these tasks.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2