You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assets panel - Few ideas to improve user experience

Hi,
I use assets quite a lot and I think they are really useful, but the assets panel could get some improvements.
1. Drag - drop things into panel.
2. Adding multiple assets at a time.

When clicking on "Add from selection" we could get another dialog box asking if we want to add selected as one aset or create separate assets
3. When creating cathegories or subcathegories a "choose name" dialog box
     I don't know if I'm alone, but on Windows renaming and creating cathegories takes few seconds for some reason. Adding name before creating one would reduce the time by a lot.
4. When mouse is over an asset element a bigger thumbnail shows somewhere next to it so you can see better what's there.

Sometimes it's hard to tell when all assets are one color and simillar look.
5. Things added from assets would be placed next to currently selected curve in layer panel.

Currently when you add something from assets panel it goes to the top of layer you are currently working in. It would be much more intuitive if added assets would appear one position over currently selected curve/group/layer/artboard (basicly one position over whatever is in selection).

Thanks ;)

11 hours ago, haakoo said:

2:simply select multiple items and add from selection will add all selected

:D well... yeah.... You just saved me a lot of time and made me regret my life at the same time :D
Yesterday I added 75 assets one by one...
Anyway
,  thank you :) You saved me for the future projects.

1: You already can on Mac and you can from win explorer or an image viewer only for afphoto/afdesign/afpub and image files..

I work on PC so the Mac functionality would be great. On my projects I rarely use photos or any ready elements straight from the file. 99% of a time I make assets from things I created or modified inside AD so the drag - drop from explorer don't do much for me :)

• 8 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 8:39 AM, IDT Adrian said:

5. Things added from assets would be placed next to currently selected curve in layer panel.

Currently when you add something from assets panel it goes to the top of layer you are currently working in. It would be much more intuitive if added assets would appear one position over currently selected curve/group/layer/artboard (basicly one position over whatever is in selection).

OH MY GOSH, thank you, yes I'm in the same boat!! This drives me nuts. It's very frustrating that assets are inserted at the top level instead of in the group I'm working on, or next to the layer I'm working on. This ends up adding many extra hours of work to my day as I work with a lot of assets as well. It would be so awesome if this could be done.

On #5...  the "Insert behind the selection" button causes the assets to go to the bottom of the layers list instead of the top, so there seems to be some level of attempt to make those features apply, but it doesn't work quite as I would expect it to.

I think there might be a bug in play here.

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 9:28 PM, haakoo said:

1: You already can on Mac and you can from win explorer or an image viewer only for afphoto/afdesign/afpub and image files..
2:simply select multiple items and add from selection will add all selected

Hello, there. I need some quick help. Yesterday I was able to drag things into my Assets panel and for some reason, I can't do it anymore. Now I have to "import" them.  I don't know what has happened. Could it be that I have modified something any preference unvoluntarily? Please, help!