You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separated Mode – main window, tabs, toolbar ...

A topic, recently occurring in the beta bugs forum, makes me copy this as a feature request:

On 11/10/2019 at 10:22 PM, JGD said:

if you use either Separated Mode (and I don't see why anyone would, cumbersome as it is; and yes, I've just checked it out in this latest beta and it still doesn't work properly)

I prefer Separated Mode because of the two monitors – while in my setup the smaller laptop screen is placed below the external larger monitor used for document windows.

2090327840_2monitors1.jpg.30ed23656315050f696cfea61dc707ea.jpg

In this setting, it is more convenient to have the toolbar not at the top of the top screen, but between the two screens and closer to the app menubar:

112359977_2monitors23.thumb.jpg.734ce04092175011fcd68e9cac0be52f.jpg

Unfortunately this setup is available only with Separated mode.

A disturbing disadvantage of Separated Mode is that documents get opened in the lower screen, behind the panels (probably because of the menubar on that screen).

1723677953_2monitors4opennewdoc.thumb.jpg.cf6a1c265714d0572f7455c92ade4750.jpg

Unfortunately even an already existing document window does not make further documents to get opened in that window as a further tab. Instead I need to 1st click in the main window and 2nd click "Merge all windows". If I do "Merge all windows" without selecting 1st the existing window then both windows get unwanted merged on the lower screen and behind the panels.

One solution could be to enable the user to get all further opened documents appear in an existing document window as new tab – instead of insisting in its position on the other screen.
An even more convenient solution would be to improve the NON-Separated Mode with the ability to customize the position of the Toolbar.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Only thing cumbersome with separated mode is that it tends not to work. Windows, palettes, toolbars go missing until resetting the app and as it is not possible to save workspaces follows a tedious repositioning of tools.

I much prefer separated mode – it is freedom. 

On 11/12/2019 at 9:14 PM, Fixx said:

resetting the app and as it is not possible to save workspaces follows a tedious repositioning of tools

Please, affinity, let me save and restore multiple workspaces!

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);