You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on save

Tegwyn

After breaking up my 300+ pages of flowing text frames into a separate flow for each chapter, performance improved, but now Publisher crashes every time I try to save or save as. This happens even if I made no changes, even after a reboot, and even if I try from the beta version. It shows the saving progress bar for a few seconds, but instead of starting to fill, it crashes to desktop. When I open the file, it doesn't have the changes, and it always starts with UI toggled off. When I press Tab to show the UI again, the tools (move, text frame, etc.) are all greyed out and unusable except for place image. They become usable again if I undock and redock them.

The main issue for me is the crashing. Can my file be repaired? I read that it may have to do with pinned objects, and some of them did get moved around and possibly messed up as I broke the text into multiple flows by a series of cuts and pastes. However, it did save at least once after that refactor, so it might have been something I did afterward -- I did try re-placing a docx to figure out an issue with hyperlinks, and I probably made a few other changes.

I can upload my file if given a secure link.

I've attached two crash logs from today for the beta (309d4f51 and bda24f04). The rest are from 1.7.3. Most, if not all, are probably from this issue, though I did have some crashes on undo today as well. If this isn't one of the issues already solved for new files in the beta version, hopefully they'll be of help.

d98bd4fa-52a7-476a-a907-b86826dcdb77.dmp

5d28fed1-c62a-43fe-8e59-d7d84c023d05.dmp

477d84a9-5855-479c-b860-e5a06481682e.dmp

eb925895-e9ba-425a-87b3-cdc428ad0eca.dmp

e9c7f580-96f7-4258-8d4d-784006afe333.dmp

fb2f0022-b862-4440-95f9-5a1b0a2ab7fe.dmp

ab6389af-0361-4b2e-a6ff-459f240dced1.dmp

b020a5ef-a428-43c8-80fa-393def156412.dmp

d5381eac-13d0-4918-8f7f-bc28f9a8183c.dmp

c7aa65b1-b5bf-4221-a861-6f1d160ebfd0.dmp

@Pauls Thanks! I've uploaded the file.

I goofed in planning and wasn't able to get it to you during your working hours, so while I wait for the fix, I'll try redoing my chapter-splitting, starting from a version I saved before attempting that, then see if it gets borked again. If this is a time-consuming fix for you, feel free to wait until I've cried for help again. If it's a quick fix, I'll appreciate having a known non-corrupt version of the file.

Are there any particular actions I should avoid that are likely to cause this bug in the current version of Publisher?

So, I probably do need a fix to the file, sorry. My redo was working ok until I changed a TOC heading paragraph style, after which it began crashing on save. (It was the only change I made between the last successful save and the crash save.)

Also, somehow, both the version I sent as well as my other most recent versions have a bunch of tables right after the TOC and invisible, rather than the various places they should be in the main text flow. They appear to be copies of other tables that are in the right places. I tried deleting those layers to get rid of them, but that didn't stop it from crashing on save.

• 4 weeks later...

@Pauls (or anyone who can help), I'm getting crashes on save again. I can open the file but not save or save as. I tried lowering max RAM usage from the performance menu, using beta 502 instead, rebooting, uninstalling both 1.7.3 and the beta and reinstalling just 1.7.3, switching render engine from video card to WARP, and opening a previous version of the file. Unfortunately, trying to save the previous version broke that file, too. Making a copy of a file 2 versions old and opening and saving that worked.

The last issue before the crash on save began was a full-computer crash, probably from running out of memory. I noticed RAM was getting close to 100%, and I believe I was trying to save at the time. After I rebooted, the crash on save problem started. It crashes on save even if it's nowhere near full RAM now.

Possibly worth noting: I know I've had crash issues associated with table pinning, and this file did have a change where a table went from floated to unpinned. (So did the previous version after I reopened it and tried to resume from there, though it didn't successfully save and does not show that change on load.)

I've attached the most up-to-date broken file and the first (aaa1b) and last (dfe7f)   crash reports from this issue. Could you see if the file can be fixed, please? I'd be very grateful (again).

dfe7fa1f-882a-4920-b767-5103d810bf9e.dmp

aaa1b854-f67e-477b-b154-9b688da45870.dmp

layout_v45.afpub