You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there!

I am on Mac Desktop, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 and OS 10.14.6. Currently working on a book and the spell checker is playing up. The book is about 400 pages long. The other day I started a new spell check which worked fine until page 81. There is got stuck on a word (A name: Gatland). With the "spelling options" window open it will not let me Find next, Ignore or Learn. Define brings up a pop up window with info about the person. My only other option is to Change. A bit strange after 80 pages of no problems. If I give up and press Change, it changes it to Garland and moves to the next word. The next word is in Swedish and behaves in the same way. None of the necessary buttons work and, as the word is foreign it has no suggested replacements, which means Change does not work either. So I am stuck and can not continue the spell checking in any way.

I have reinstalled the software from a new Download, Save As the file to a new document, viewed it in Designer persona, saved and gone back to Publisher. Selected other text in the document but apparently it always starts the spell check from the first error in the document irrelevant to what is selected or where the cursor is. Right clicking on the word and selecting Learn does not help either. So there seems to be no way for me to move forward.

I copied the text and started a brand new document. Pasted it in and ran the spell checker again. Stepping through from the start and ignoring a fair number of the foreign words. Whizzing past the words I previously got stuck on only to get stuck in the same manner 5-10 words later. So there does not seem to be anything specific about the words themselves. Perhaps some kind of limit to the amount of ignored or learnt words? As in a bug, not a set limit.

I don't have a solution to your problem, but a suggestion that may help in general, if you're using a lot of foreign words that you don't want to spellcheck. You could define a Character Text Style with the Spelling Language set to None. Then, as you're composing your text and have a foreign word, you could assign that Character Text Style to it, and it would be ignored during your spellchecking process.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1