You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm trying to select a small feature of my photo to make brighter(moon) so I zoom in, click selection brush tool, then go to work with selecting.  However, I can never get this quite right, so I select "invert selection" to go at selecting the shape from the other side.  A soon as I try to use it and touch on the edges of my selection the whole thing vanishes.  Basically, this means I can only select the shape from inside of it and my hand just isn't steady enough to get this right, so the task cannot be done.  Is this a limitation of this tool when it comes to making smaller selections in a photo?  Is there a way around this?  Or can it simply not be done, so I can't brighten a moon in the sky of my picture?

IMG_5526.CR2

• Staff

Hi Chimes,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Use the Elipse Tool to create a perfect circle (a shape with no fill so you can position and scale it correctly over the moon), then go to menu Layer > Convert To Curves to convert the shape to curves (this step is necessary so you can convert the curves to a selection), then switch to the Pen Tool and click the Selection button in the context toolbar to convert the curves to a selection. Feather (menu Select > Feather) the selection a little bit if needed to smooth out the edges. You should then have a good starting point to work with.

Add a Brightness / Contrast layer to your image.

Max out the brightness and contrast sliders

Use Layer > Invert on the Brightness / Contrast Layer so it has no effect on the image.

Zoom in and with a zero hardness white brush paint over the moon (make sure the Brightness / Contrast layer is still selected as you are painting on its in-built mask)

Finally, adjust the Opacity of the Brightness / Contrast Layer and its sliders to fine-tune the results  

moon.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi
interesting question,  we must find the solution in accordance with our way of thinking ...

with MEB solution (thanks for the explanation)
 at the end of the process I think is easier Use the CTRL M  curve   go LAB > L
   here is more efficient Increase the slope. Logic   You can play with mode here add , but...

image.png.87613eae8bc465d1e70d9f0789e90cb8.png

Thanks folks but now the elipse selection tool won't scale down to the size of the moon(like it did before) and just disappears when I take my hand of the drag.  The selection stays when it's over a certain size but I can't refine the shape to fit because it's too big.   I've had enough, if the tools won't even work consistently, instructions are pointless so I give up.