You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.499] Merge Documents test

I would be interested to see if people on windows or other Mac OSes have the same problems. Five Documents included. I hope the names make sense.

Pub Test 2.zip

I have 2 Master Pages ("2 col 1 col Chapter Start" & "Bulk Text") with Text Frames' Baselines coloured Red, Green and Blue and the second Master Page has the Text Frames' Baselines coloured as Cyan and Yellow. I have included the Page Numbers near the relevant Text Frames set in the relevant colour.
Using a new document with only a blank default Master Page and one page I get great failures on all three methods of "Add Pages from File..." Before, Replacing and After using either radio button choice of All Pages or Pages x-y and choosing pages 1-4.
What I wind up with is a document which starts on page one being blank in all cases. With the After choice there is a second blank page and then the page 1 content (from the document being added) starts on page three.
What is most disturbing is what happens with the first page when adding the pages before or replacing the pages, the first page has the page numbers from the Master Page "2 col 1 col Chapter Start" placed correctly but the Text frame is from the Left page of that Master and I can see that the text frames from the Right page are on the non-existant page 0 (Left page) along with the 'proper' page number. The final page has the correct Master Page applied to the left and Right pages.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @Old Bruce,

I'm struggling to reproduce what you are describing here.

If I create a new blank document and insert your template with before/after the first page it seems to act appropriately, the first page is only blank if I insert pages from another file *after* Page 1.

It might be a bit easier if you can give me some steps to follow using the files you've attached to reproduce what you've seen?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Sorry for the late reply, I have been watching the Washington soap opera... 

I start with opening "Template.afpub". In this empty document which I Save As... I choose to Add Pages from file... and select "4 Pages A.afpub" with the option to Replace Pages 1-4. The result is that there is a blank page on Number one with what i consider to be some very odd behaviour.
Page One in the original has two text frames for the Text and two page number Text Frames near those. After adding the pages I am left with a blank page with One Text Frame for the Text and the two Text Frames with the Page numbers. I can see the Text Frames for the Page's Text have been swapped but the page number Text Frames have not been swapped.

814376551_Before1.thumb.png.ef98623d6fe2f0c4b15c6476879b0ed1.png

60507384_After1.thumb.png.cb4703129500eaee55b51db7ae3c333c.png

You can see this clearly in the two screenshots. Mac OS 10.14.6

1829693798_Before2.thumb.png.c8876214f0d27bad1305a3bbf6497911.png Blank Saved As... document

380979389_After2.thumb.png.fa2670d2c8dbf77b2bdd18868a17d4b4.png After replacing Pages 1-4. You can see the change in Page one from two text frames to one.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

• Staff

It seems to be pulling in the left side Page 1. If you add pages from file and choose the same file (Template.afpub) I would expect everything to remain the same, but you will notice it brings in the "red lines" left spread of the master page.

I'm 90% certain this is logged with us, but I'll double check and log it if not.

Thanks for the report.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

It seems to be pulling in the left side Page 1.

It is swapping the text-flow-joined text frames only (from the Left to the Right) and then it dumps the text flow from that first added page and continues on from there. Note that the page numbers are fine.

As it stands now the only way I can see this working 'properly' is with single page spreads. With that there are no missing/added/blank pages, just the document I add. But I don't want to work with single page spreads.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.