You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rulers

I am really beginning to enjoy the suite of softwares immensely and finally managing to produce what I want.

I am working on OS Sierra on a 27- inch Mac running ve 1.7.3

The art work was viewed at 100% in Navigator.

See attached screen shot: why are the 20 divisions between 220 mm and 240 mm grouped into units of 4 and not 5?

Ok I know when you drag a guide across you have a readout as to where you are.....but that's not really the same thing as having a large graduation at 5 mm and 10 mm.

Has no one else noticed this, or is this just my dyslexia kicking in?

Thanks for all the good work,

Antony

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 19.02.51.png

• Staff

Hi Antony parks,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Your screenshot show 20 subdivisions (not 25). The number of subdivisions is dynamic and depends on the zoom level - the more you zoom in the more subdivisions will appear for the same distance in the ruler (similar logic for the opposite - the more you zoom out the less subdivisions you will see for the same distance). There's no way to set a fixed number of subdivisions for the rulers, but you can set a grid with the number or divisions and subdivisions you want instead (and also set a different colour for the subdivisions if needed).

In the screenshots below i've created a document (set to centimetres) and also created a grid with the spacing set to 1 cm (red) and 10 subdivisions (grey) (menu View > Grid and Axis Manager...) so each subdivision represents 1mm - the grid is fixed so it doesn't change when you zoom in/out as the ruler does. Setting the zoom to 250% on my screen will show a mark for each millimetre in the rulers (so 10 subdivisions - matching the grid specs i set).

1280x900each_ruler_mark_one_millimetre.jpg

Setting the zoom to around 380% already displays two marks per millimetre so each mark now represents half millimetre (that is 20 subdivisions for the same 1 cm). I've attached the afdesign file below in case you want to take a look.

1280x900each_ruler_mark_half_millimetre.jpg

Here's the afdesign file: ruler_marks.afdesign

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Ah, OK, it's a milimetre thing:

Could we have the large graduations at 5 mm, 10 mm, and 15 mm and not at 4mm, 8 mm, 12 mm and 16mm?

Think of where the divisions are on a plastic school ruler.

Screen shot below is off your file with dimensions changed to milimetres.

(Sorry,  I edited my mistake in my original post when I realised that the larger divisions were at 4 and not 5)

I'll try changing my measurements to centimetres. Maybe less confusing.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 20.59.51.png