You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Hyphenation Problem

Soather

Hello, 

Affinity Designer / macOS Catalina (10.15.1)

It seems like hyphenation is not working at all.
I did notice that when I made an attempt to install a Greek dictionary.
At first, I though it had to do with the installation or the dictionary I downloaded.
But then I tried with english text as well, and yet, nothing changed, even with the pre-installed dictionaries.

Thank you for your help.

Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 16.55.57.png

Automatic hyphenation is a Publisher function, not a Designer function.

However, because the file formats are compatible among the Affinity applications, you could make a document in Publisher, with a Text Frame that has hyphenation enabled via the Paragraph panel, or you could make a Paragraph Text Style that has hyphenation enabled, and then transfer that document or Text Style to Designer, and hyphenation would work.

Note that it would not be controllable. You would not be able to turn it on or off (except by assigning the Text Style to something or not), and you would not be able to control the hyphenation parameters, because the UI functions for hyphenation are only in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, Soather said:

Your answer is clear and thank you for the quick respond.
However I do not understand why the option of hyphenation is visible in Designer.
I mean, what is the purpose of it?

The only option that is visible (as far as I know) is only the one in the Character panel that lets you specify the hyphenation language. And I have no idea why that is there; that may be a bug.

The options that are more important are the ones that would be in the Paragraph panel, and in the Paragraph options of the Text Style dialog. Those control whether hyphenation is enabled, and how it operates. Those options are only in Publisher, as far as I know.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The only option that is visible (as far as I know) is only the one in the Character panel that lets you specify the hyphenation language. And I have no idea why that is there; that may be a bug.

The options that are more important are the ones that would be in the Paragraph panel, and in the Paragraph options of the Text Style dialog. Those control whether hyphenation is enabled, and how it operates. Those options are only in Publisher, as far as I know.

Thank you again.
That did help a lot!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

In Designer, Hyphenation is a setting in the Create Paragraph Style panel under the Character Language settings (which may be another instance of the character settings mentioned above). From here, I have only attempted one adjustment — from "Auto" to "English" — but it appears to have no effect on text frames. In any case, this contradicts the claim that it is a "Publisher function" and that it only appears in the Character panel, at least it does if users infer that interface features are functional. I'm looking forward to the feature being fully implemented or to better understanding its usage as currently implemented. Thanks for the above posts, as they helped me find my issue in the forum.

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.45.59 AM.png

4 minutes ago, Incoming Fax said:

In any case, this contradicts the claim that it is a "Publisher function" and that it only appears in the Character panel, at least it does if users infer that interface features are functional.

As Sean (from Serif) mentioned in the post just before yours, the options should not appear in Designer. That is the bug, as I understand it.

You are not looking in the Paragraph panel, though. You are looking in the Text Style editor, and a Text Style combines aspects from the Character panel and from the Paragraph panel. You are looking in the Character section (analogous to the Character panel if you were not using styles). That lets you specify languages, but the option to enable automatic hyphenation would be in the Hyphenation section of the Text Style editor, down below the Paragraph section. As you can see, that section is not present.

Designer does not support automatic hyphenation. It does support manual hyphenation, and you can insert a "soft hyphen" character where you would like manual hyphenation to occur.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, abra100pro said:

There is no (working) hyphenation in Affinity Designer 1.9 - is that correct?

It is both correct and incorrect.

Correct: Designer does not let you enable automatic hyphenation. The setting is intentionally missing from the Paragraph panel and from the Paragraph Text Styles settings.

Incorrect: If you have a document created or updated in Publisher, where automatic hyphenation was enabled, and you process that document in Designer, automatic hyphenation will work.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt, thanks for making this clear. I must say that Affinity does not lack to bring tears to my eyes - often out of delightment but also quite often out of sheer disbelief. This hyphenation behaviour is wrong in so many ways, UX, usability of features, setup.... Don't you agree?

BTW: I lack to understand the reason for Publisher to have several hyphenation settings in chars and paragraph panels - You can switch it on in chars panel and nothing happens until you switch on "Use auto hyphenation" in the paragraph panel. That is UX wise just not intuitive. Sometimes Affinity thinks around 5 corners.
Select the text - choose hyphenation (language is cool here, but I definitely should be able to set it document-wide, too) and *boom* - it would work.

2 hours ago, abra100pro said:

You can switch it on in chars panel and nothing happens until you switch on "Use auto hyphenation" in the paragraph panel. That is UX wise just not intuitive.

The settings in the Character panel supply to letters and individual words. The settings in the paragraph panel apply to the complete paragraph.

They are complementary to reach other, and intuitively placed, in my opinion.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...

I give up. I have tried in every possible way (reading the Help-menu) to make hyphenation work in Affinity Publisher. Could you send me a file where you have created a paragraph style where hyphenation is turned on, and a bit of text so I can see that it works? Maybe a paragraph in English and another in Danish (copy some text from Wikipedia). Then I can use that file as a template for my future documents. 

Thank you.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:22 PM, Ove Steen said:

I give up. I have tried in every possible way (reading the Help-menu) to make hyphenation work in Affinity Publisher. Could you send me a file where you have created a paragraph style where hyphenation is turned on, and a bit of text so I can see that it works? Maybe a paragraph in English and another in Danish (copy some text from Wikipedia). Then I can use that file as a template for my future documents. 

Thank you.

This topic is an old one about Designer.

You have another one about Publisher, and you seem to have said there early last month that you had it working. If it's still not working, perhaps you should continue over there. And it might be easiest if you would provide a sample where it's not working, which would let us see what you've tried, and possibly suggest a better approach.

-- Walt
PC:

Some times it works, some times not. Please look at this document with a Danish text about Churchill, that I copied from Danish Wikipedia.

What did I do?

• Appropriate Dictionary for Danish installed? - Yes!
  • Danish specified in the character panel in Spelling Language option? - Yes!
  • Danish specified in the character panel in Hyphenation Language option? - Yes!
  • Automatic Hyphenation specified in the Paragraph panel? - Yes!
  • Update Paragraph Style selected in the Text Menu? - Yes!
  • Any words hyphenated in the document? - No?

Where did I fail?

Why does it have to be so complicated? I copied the same text to MS Word. Made a check-mark at hyphenation - and it worked - just like it did with Adobe InDesign on my old computer.

Skærmbillede 2022-06-08 kl. 10.31.30.png

Skærmbillede 2022-06-08 kl. 10.30.29.png

Hyphenatian trial.afpub

44 minutes ago, Ove Steen said:

Why does it have to be so complicated? I copied the same text to MS Word. Made a check-mark at hyphenation - and it worked - just like it did with Adobe InDesign on my old computer. · 0 downloads

True, one can discuss it until the end of time – it is not cool now and InDesign and other apps demonstrate how easy it can be done. I kindly ask Serif therefore to think it over and make it intuitive/work. And please in APub AND AD – Why should I work back and forth in the both only to change hyphenation?

2 hours ago, Ove Steen said:
  • Danish specified in the character panel in Spelling Language option? - Yes!
  • Danish specified in the character panel in Hyphenation Language option? - Yes!

It is interesting that in Spelling, your document just shows "Dansk", but in Hyphenation it shows "Dansk (Denmark)".

When I open it on my system (with the Danish dictionaries from the FAQ installed) I see "Unknown (da)" for Spelling, and "Danish (Denmark)" for Hyphenation.

The Spelling language should not affect the hyphenation, as far as I know, bt that difference is odd. I can change the Spelling language to "Danish (Denmark)", as that is one of the dropdown choices.

I agree that hyphenation does not seem to be working. I am not yet sure why.

And, again, this discussion really belongs in your other topic, which is about Publisher, not this old topic about Designer, in my opinion.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, Ove Steen said:

Some times it works, some times not.

I don't have a Danish hyphenation in my APub but with any of the available (e.g. Latin, English, German) I don't see hyphenation on the first page of your .afpub, too.

I assume it is caused by your Justification settings which seem to "prevent" hyphenation because they give the text a flexibility which might not require hyphenation. This effect gets additionally supported by your number of characters per line, which is with Ø 100 quite large. (and, by the way makes it harder to read; a value around 65 – 75 is common for a comfortable readability).

If I reduce your given / forced "freedom" for Justification …

904321466_danish_hyphenationLatin1.thumb.jpg.0ab14ef13c9e87bf580734439c95ce8f.jpg

… a Latin hyphenation gets allowed, so I guess different justification settings would affect Danish hyphenation in a similar way.

957404832_danish_hyphenationLatin2.thumb.jpg.05df52fc5f7eb24de61989846030ab54.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

I assume it is caused by your Justification settings which seem to "prevent" hyphenation because they give the text a flexibility which might not require hyphenation.

Thanks; I had missed that.

You're right, I think. Justification removes the need for hyphenation in almost all cases. There are a few situations where it might still be used, but they are rare. For example, if I switch that document to using multiple columns, at 2 columns I can see this text:

image.png.c2c5df2e967756f0b7c2271899a633aa.pngbut if I switch it to 3 columns I get this for that same text:

image.png.1a6d81a7c3f6c21287f10a337fe08731.png and we can see that hyphenation was needed.

-- Walt
PC: