Soather

Affinity Designer Hyphenation Problem

Hello, 

Affinity Designer / macOS Catalina (10.15.1)

It seems like hyphenation is not working at all.
I did notice that when I made an attempt to install a Greek dictionary.
At first, I though it had to do with the installation or the dictionary I downloaded.
But then I tried with english text as well, and yet, nothing changed, even with the pre-installed dictionaries.

Thank you for your help.

Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 16.55.57.png

Automatic hyphenation is a Publisher function, not a Designer function.

However, because the file formats are compatible among the Affinity applications, you could make a document in Publisher, with a Text Frame that has hyphenation enabled via the Paragraph panel, or you could make a Paragraph Text Style that has hyphenation enabled, and then transfer that document or Text Style to Designer, and hyphenation would work.

Note that it would not be controllable. You would not be able to turn it on or off (except by assigning the Text Style to something or not), and you would not be able to control the hyphenation parameters, because the UI functions for hyphenation are only in Publisher.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.864 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.864 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.863 Beta.

Your answer is clear and thank you for the quick respond.
However I do not understand why the option of hyphenation is visible in Designer.
I mean, what is the purpose of it?

36 minutes ago, Soather said:

Your answer is clear and thank you for the quick respond.
However I do not understand why the option of hyphenation is visible in Designer.
I mean, what is the purpose of it?

The only option that is visible (as far as I know) is only the one in the Character panel that lets you specify the hyphenation language. And I have no idea why that is there; that may be a bug.

The options that are more important are the ones that would be in the Paragraph panel, and in the Paragraph options of the Text Style dialog. Those control whether hyphenation is enabled, and how it operates. Those options are only in Publisher, as far as I know.

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.864 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.864 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.863 Beta.

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The only option that is visible (as far as I know) is only the one in the Character panel that lets you specify the hyphenation language. And I have no idea why that is there; that may be a bug.

The options that are more important are the ones that would be in the Paragraph panel, and in the Paragraph options of the Text Style dialog. Those control whether hyphenation is enabled, and how it operates. Those options are only in Publisher, as far as I know.

Thank you again.
That did help a lot!

You're welcome.

-- Walt

In Designer, Hyphenation is a setting in the Create Paragraph Style panel under the Character Language settings (which may be another instance of the character settings mentioned above). From here, I have only attempted one adjustment — from "Auto" to "English" — but it appears to have no effect on text frames. In any case, this contradicts the claim that it is a "Publisher function" and that it only appears in the Character panel, at least it does if users infer that interface features are functional. I'm looking forward to the feature being fully implemented or to better understanding its usage as currently implemented. Thanks for the above posts, as they helped me find my issue in the forum.

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.45.59 AM.png

4 minutes ago, Incoming Fax said:

In any case, this contradicts the claim that it is a "Publisher function" and that it only appears in the Character panel, at least it does if users infer that interface features are functional.

As Sean (from Serif) mentioned in the post just before yours, the options should not appear in Designer. That is the bug, as I understand it.

You are not looking in the Paragraph panel, though. You are looking in the Text Style editor, and a Text Style combines aspects from the Character panel and from the Paragraph panel. You are looking in the Character section (analogous to the Character panel if you were not using styles). That lets you specify languages, but the option to enable automatic hyphenation would be in the Hyphenation section of the Text Style editor, down below the Paragraph section. As you can see, that section is not present.

Designer does not support automatic hyphenation. It does support manual hyphenation, and you can insert a "soft hyphen" character where you would like manual hyphenation to occur.

-- Walt